Wet season project build 1975 XS 650B

Michaelo

650Mick
Reaction score
This bike is an American import into Australia. I purchased it 4 months ago, sight unseen, from a guy who imports and sells bikes in AU. So after a while i've been tinkering away trying to figure out what was causing the oil to burn / drop / disappear. Eventually I decided that I would take the engine out during our tropical wet season.
After running hotter plugs it wasn't too bad, I had tightened up the tappet clearance to stop the occasional rattle but was still fouling plugs.
Farted around with mixture trying to lean it out but was still fouling plugs and not running as sweet as I would have thought.
So, first picture....

This was after a polish and before any major work....
Shute%20Harbour%20XS650.jpg

The start of it all, re did the tappets again and this made nil difference, so I have a friend who has a motor cycle workshop that let me use a space for a few days.....wet season had started (it rained for a few days so it was on)

XS650%201.jpg

Engine out, keep a close eye on the color of the left side piston and head coming up....

XS650%204.jpg

Cylinder head

XS650%206.jpg

Pistons....

XS650%205.jpg

More.....

XS650%202%201.jpg

Virgin engine, all gaskets are from new, you can tell if someone has been in before, and this engine hasn't been out or had the head or barrels off before!

XS650%208.jpg

Clean up, media blasted the pistons to get the crap off.....

XS650%209.jpg

Thought I would blast the intake air boxes as well, made new caskets for them and gave them a few coats of flat black....

XS650%2011.jpg

One thing that irritated me was cleaning the casket cement off the sump, it takes bloody hours of scraping, only morons use gasket cement on sumps!

XS650%2010.jpg

So, that's where I am up to, have new cam chain, seals, cam chain tensioner and guide (old one was collecting in the sump in little pieces) rings, head has been shaved, valves re seated and re faced.....keep an eye out as I will be chucking this lot back together soon.....

Well, it's probably a little late for you now, but for removing old gaskets, I use paint stripper. It takes a few applications and gentle scrapings, but it makes the job pretty easy and does absolutely no damage to the sealing surfaces.

The way the carbon on that left piston top didn't reach all the way out to the edges indicates oil was in there washing it off, most likely coming up past the rings.

That's really cool, Iv'e done nearly all the surfaces now, 5twins, your correct on the "de carbonation" also low compression as well would have played a part 170 Psi R, 110 L. Part of the driver to do what was needed....cannot wait until next week, i get to put all the bits back together again......shouldn't be to many bits left over Ha!

Nice work going on here!

2 cents; you have an oil burner down this far not sure how many miles on it, but why not a bore, slugs and rings?

New valve seals?

Thanks gggGary, I gave the thought of going 0.5mm O/S, I did do a price comparison for standard and 0.5mm.......problem is $$$$, and the lack thereof. My position (working for the largest chemical company on the globe) was just made redundant, so I went with 30 others. I did work remotely, was doing well too, 2.5 mil in sales with a 50% margin.
Anyway, had the work Christmas present (still getting up of the floor) and started with the bike not long after to keep my mind off things.
Now I am going to go back and do the numbers again, for you really have made a valid point, I didn't look at "evilbay" for spares, so what you found was cheap, really cheap. I did mikes sx, and our one Geoff's sx, which when you did the AU / USD conversion it was cheaper to buy from the states, but the shipping was a killer.
The only extra cost will be the bores, I've had the head done and it's back together and ready to rock and roll, yes, valves were re seated and re faced, 5 or 6 thou skim as well........with new seals

Ouch on the ax at work! Sorry to hear that. Job sourced out of country? A-wipes.
I have gotten about a dozen piston sets, and lots of others on XS650 have as well, from Cruzinimage, top notch parts.

Hi Michael,
Sorry to hear about the job situation.

Looks like great work on the engine. It's cleaning up nicely.
I'll look forward to watching your progress.

cheers,

Phil

Your first picture sealed the deal for me, two nice bits of scenery. A '75 I bought in 2012 was my introduction to this bad habit.
Good luck on your situation.

Hi Michael,
Sorry to hear about the job situation.

Looks like great work on the engine. It's cleaning up nicely.
I'll look forward to watching your progress.

cheers,

Phil

Thanks Phil, love coming home from the workshop smelling like an oily rag, but I will be riding again soon,

Hey gggGary, will have a look later today.....

Your first picture sealed the deal for me, two nice bits of scenery. A '75 I bought in 2012 was my introduction to this bad habit.
Good luck on your situation.

When you live in the smack dang in the middle of the Whitsunday group of Islands, you will get lots of turquoise blue water shots, so why not use them for getting the color of your bike "Beaming" out at you? I love my addiction to the "bad habit" where's your picture (75)?
Thanks Lakeview, you've cheered my day up....woohoo, new bits arriving tomorrow....Well Wednesday I hope......

It's the second from the end. (bad habit used advisedly)
One of these days I will get one on the road. None of them yet have achieved that state of grace, but my plan for something to keep me occupied in retirement is going gangbusters!

Attachments

• SAM_0157.JPG
    SAM_0157.JPG
    246.6 KB · Views: 114
Back