what a nightmare.

modboy55x

XS650 Member
Reaction score
ok 76 xs 650 with the two coils and points ignition. i have a 4 position switch with momentary start also on it. finally figured out where the wires for the coils have to I believe. bike has spark and fuel but no start. noticed that when I unplug or plug in orange wire on coil from the points I get a little spark is that normal. and the coils seem to be getting hotter then they should. frustrated to the max nice weather and cant ride. guess I should have taken pics when I took it apart last year. HELP PLEASE:banghead:

With the key on power goes to the coils, from the coils to points. With the points closed current flows through the coil. This only happens with one coil at a time. They will get warm under normal circumstances but not hot. If the get hot shut the bike off.
I rsponded to a thread of yours explaining how to wire the coils. If you wire the left coil to the right pints the plug will fire but be 180 degrees out of time.An easy way to check this is to swapplug wires from the left to right plug andright to left. If this makes the bike run then you need to swap the wires that run from the coils to points.
Leo

Back