what are the chances? 50 mile xs2

SangreDeDios

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
picked up a 72 yesterday. Barn find.
at first I didn't notice this but the speedo only shows 50 miles.
what are the chances of that? the bike seems to be all stock with the exception if some shorty mufflers, everything else appears to be original.
Motor has really good compression, the valves are super quiet just kicking it over.
Does this speedo look original to you guys?
I wonder if this thing truly has only 50 miles. Weird.

full

full

seems very unlikely but you never know. People messed with speedos all the time. I looked at a 74 Enduro one time that had like 1000 miles on the speedo only to find out the guy had taken it off for awhile and used it as a dirt bike.

Considering the tank is painted,, different muffler's,,, and hard telling what else has been done,,,,I doubt it only has 50 mile's on it.

Slim and none, and slim left town. Ha ha.

But I would look for wear. On the seat, tires, chain, bolt heads, etc. If it's a 50 miler there will be no wear at all.

good point, I'm gonna check the chain, sprockets, etc. all I checked last night was the master cylinder which looked brand new inside and out. even the switches on the handlebars look and feel brand new.
I was mainly trying to figure out if that speedo is correct for that model year?

I'm at work and can't blow up the picture.

But the seat looks wrong, and the tail light looks wrong too.

Does it have the compression release?? Are those high shoulder rims??

Who would do this to a 50 mile bike. And why. Where's the rest of the part's. I call bs on the whole thing. But if I'm wrong,,, I truly apologize. :D

Respectfully,,, what makes you say it is a 72. Do you have a tittle. Does it match the vin on the bike??

Looks to be the same one as on my 72.
Is the glass intact?,does the bezel look like it has been tampered with ? they are very hard to refit without some marks .

The more I look at it,,, I thinkin it is a pieced together bike. The front fender isn't right either.

In fact. The only thing that looks like a 72 is the gas tank.

But I could be wrong. Again. I'm sorry if I am. :D

Calsxs2, seat and taillight match what I've seen on other stock xs2s.
yes vin number and title are 72. and yes high shoulder rims.
and yes compression release is there, cable and lever is missing tho.

yellowdog not sure if the bezel has been messed with, ill take a look tho.

Weird thing is some things on this bike feel brand new but it's been sitting for years, who knows.

Calsxs2 pretty sure front fender is correct, it's just missing both of the fender stays. I've been comparing it to other xs2s, no difference.

Here's a beautiful example of what a stock 72 should look like.

T2eC16NHJGwFFYuou38BRysZNOIg60_57_zps34abf9c3.jpg

Last edited:
Not a chance. How is a bike going to get worn down enough to need repainting the tank, replacing the mufflers, replacing the seat, replacing both fenders, replacing the headlight and so on in one single hour of use after it left the factory? Impossible.

I guess if anyone wants a really low mileage speedo let me know. I'm not much of a resto guy but I was considering restoring if it had enough original parts. Since that seems to not be the case chopped it shall be.
either way the motor sounds brand freaking new.

I'm willing to bet this is a frankenstein, variety of parts with a history. Seat/grabhandle, rear fender & taillight, handlebars, tank with filled-in badge recess, air filters, ...etc. The speedo has no sun-bleaching on the dial or face, what about the tach? Was the left switch assembly mounted, or supplied separate, as though someone wanted to mount it but found the wiring too short for those bars? Pull the tank and closely examine engine top nuts and mounting bolts for wrench dings...

That's a '72 speedo. Looks like an early frame with those type of passenger peg mounts. Looks like an early tank. Does it have a steering damper?
Is it an early type brake rotor?
Better yet, does the frame and engine number match? What are they?
Bars are definitely not stock.
There's no way it only has 50 miles, unless some tweaker got ahold of it.

I'm not saying this to be mean. But I hope you didn't pay good money for that with the believe it was an all original 72. It is far from it.

But if you got it cheap to build a bobber,,,, well that's a different story.

If you want us to pick it apart,,,, in a friendly way :D:D,,, we will. Just so you know what you have. :thumbsup:

If the rotor and hub have a oblong grove and bushings, ( only year/model it come out on), then the front wheel will be a 72.

Back