What are these

Take Warning15

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
...and do I need them in my new wiring harness. I'm not using an electric start.

Attachments

• electricla.jpg
    electricla.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 133
  • rear hub.jpg
    rear hub.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 114
  • Resistor?.jpg
    Resistor?.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 103
sorry, not the regulator. The grey rectangle. It seems to be part of brake light circuit. I'm wondering what exactly it does and if I can remove it in my new harness.

1. might be reserve lighting module G/W, Y, Black wires ???
2. brake lining switch... see 75-76 wiring diagram
3. diode for brake light (out) warning circuit... see 75-76 wiring diagram
don't need any of them

Attachments

• 75_76_XS650 B&C Wiring.PNG
    75_76_XS650 B&C Wiring.PNG
    60.5 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
I actually have another question. I don't really see why I need #1. It's labeled light checker. It looks like it just goes to a few lights in the dash.

I actually have another question. I don't really see why I need #1. It's labeled light checker. It looks like it just goes to a few lights in the dash.

you don't, it switches the high beam on if the lowbeam burns out, personally I've always been able to tell if my headlight isn't working after dark

added wiring dia. to my other post

It seems to me, after looking at the schematic that I don't need any of them in my new harness. Like you said, I'll know if a light does out and I'm not using an electric starter.

another semi- related question. Which brush is ground? Outter or inner? I think mine are backwards. Would the system still work if the brushes were reversed?

The brush the black wire hooks to is ground. The green brush is the hot. You can't reverse them. The inner brush has a mount strap that comes from the screw below the brush, up over the brush, down to under a screw then goes over to the left and under a third screw. This is where the black wire is hooked.
The outer brush has a strap that just comes up from under the screw to the brush. The green wire goes under this screw.
Like in this pic. Disregard the three nylon screw text. Just look at how the wires hook to the brushes.

Attachments

• nylonscrews2.jpg
    nylonscrews2.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 66
I see. I'll have to look at it when I get the chance. The previous owner has a red wire that hooks to ground and then a black wire that connects to the orange wire from my reg/rec. I'll have to double check which brush they each go to.

got ya, thanks.

The previous owner has it wired the way I thought. Orange wire from regulator to the outer brush. Who knows why he used black wire to do this, and red to go to the inner brush.

To my original question though, can someone confirm that I can get away without the diode, light checker, and wire that goes to the rear hub?

I can confirm the rear brake plate wire. That's just some sort of electric shoe wear indicator. You can remove the wire and cut the bracket off the brake plate torque arm tab. I was going to replace the sender in the plate with a blank-off bolt but couldn't find any to fit. It's an odd metric fine thread. I settled for just replacing the wire screw with a stainless Allen .....

FeltRing.jpg

There is an easy way to id electrical parts. Get a wiring diagram for your bike. Look at the part you want to id. count the number of wires and the colors. No to units have the same combo of color and number of wires.
Look at the diagram for the item that has the same color and number of wires.
Leo

Leo, that would work if the previous owner didn't butcher the harness. It takes me ten minutes to trace a single wire anywhere. Each wire is spliced 5 different times with 6 different colored wires. I do have a schematic for the original harness though, from Jayel. I'm just trying to be as safe as possible before tearing what I have apart. I'm dreading that first turn of the key after the new harness is built. I don't know what I'll do when I get no power on my harness.:doh:

Even on a very butchered harness, the wires running into each unit won't change. Each unit has a certain amount of wires and are certain colors. That won't change.
Leo

Oh, I see what you're saying. I'm pretty sure I have it sorted out now. The colors are off on the brushes, but I can see that they go to the correct brushes. What do you think?

Attachments

• Wiring Diagram 75'.pdf
    42.7 KB · Views: 61
Back