What carbs are these?!?!

joeluvs2fish

Bob to live!
Reaction score
Got a pair of Mikunis with a 77 XS650 I picked up a while back. The only identification on them is SOLEX stamped on the diaphram cover on top. The enriching circuit is only linked by a hose between the two carbs. There aren't any bosses underneath to mount the two together on the typical angle piece. Also the throttles aren't linked either. It'll take a split cable. I have no idea how many times this scoot has changed hands so I have no clue as to where all the original hardware is. I'll get a couple pics up here when I get that to cooperate. Take care guys!

yup early BS38. They match the pics Terrible1 posted. Thanks for the quick responses guys. Another question, would one by itself be enough to power this thing in a 2-1 setup?

Any baseline jetting suggestions for running a single BS38? Haven't settled on 2x1 or 2x2 exhaust yet. Either will be baffled to some degree. Just need a starting point I can go from. Thanks for all the other info!!!

Start with stock jetting, it really doesn't matter to the carb one or two cylinders.

Check any old carb carefully for worn throttle shafts, if they wiggle sideways (a little in out is OK) find a different carb to use. You have to replace the throttle shaft seals on any old XS650 carb.

Check any old carb carefully for worn throttle shafts, if they wiggle sideways (a little in out is OK) find a different cab to use. You have to replace the throttle shaft seals on any old XS650 carb.

Gotcha boss. Got it right here and it's pretty tight, no play. The needle looks good too. My 64 CB77 had pits all over the needles when I got it. Hey thanks for all the tips Gary. Pickin up a 79 XS400 in a week or two!

Back