What caused this?

drummin777

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So Im starting my first build. The engine started fine, although I never rode the bike. It had a few different oil leaks. I thought while I was waiting on getting some issues with the title settled, I might as well go through the motor replace all seals and gaskets to get the thing sealed up good. After all, if things fall through with the title, I can use the motor in another frame. I got the motor tore apart pretty easy. Splitting the cases proved to be test, but other than that, not bad. Here are a couple things i found.

a) The came chain guide (not tensioner, the guide on the opposite side) seems to hap some apart. The black plastic piece had moved,dropped etc. and the chain had worn into the metal in one area. Not to bad, but still enough that Im glad i decided to go through the motor and not half ass seal it the leaks.

b) The o-ring on one of the cylinders was looped completely out of the base gasket. I actually have a pic of this below.

c) Ok, here is the one I need help with. I noticed some slight scoring in the right cylinder wall. 2 different 1/2 wide tracks. Not too harsh, but still a concern. I didnt think too much more about at the time, I just kept working. Then today I was looking around and noticed the exact same scoring on the piston. Some how the piston was rubbing the wall. Ive never been this in depth in a motor before. I am somewhat mechanically inclined and do all the work on my other bikes. I wanted a bobber and a project to mess around with, so here I am.

So my questions are: Is this normal? What caused this (I want to make sure I get the issue resolved)? How bad do the scoring on the wall have to be before it needs to be bored? Anything else you want to throw out there is welcomed.

Thanks in advance, Joseph

2012-07-23232644.jpg

2012-07-29232957.jpg

2012-07-29232927.jpg

2012-07-29232919.jpg

A) Its a common problem just renew and make sure all the black stuff is out of the system. Clean your oil pump etc...
B)new o-ring
C) I would get your cylinders honed, maybe bored and go to the next size pistons. Make sure all your tolerances are good with the connecting rod.

Yeah that cylinder/piston look pretty bad, maybe a chunk of the rubber cam guide or some of the lathed off aluminum got in there and bodged it up. Otherwise shouldn't look like that on a low miles engine. On cylinders an old saw was if you can "catch" the groove with a fingernail it needs to be dealt with.

Back