What Did I Do?

Dave48

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
80 XS. I was trying to do a main clutch adjustment. I tried to loosen the lock nut at the left side cover. I could feel it was trying to disengage the clutch but nut would not loosen. The clutch is now disengaged all the time and the kick start is not engaged. What did I break?

Probably nothing. To check it remove your left foot peg (assuming you have oem) then the left side cover. Put the bolts where you can follow the pattern so you don't get the long and shorts mixed up. Remove the cable if it is still attached now you can see how it operates and break the nut loose. When re-adjusting don't tighten that nut much or you will be in the same place you are now. Just snug is fine.

Weekendrider

I already tried that. With the side cover removed the clutch is disengaged. It seems when I tried to loosen the adjustment it pushed the rod too far and the clutch is stuck disengaged.

There's the remote possibly that the clutch pressure plate was pushed outward far enuff so that its splines uncoupled from the hub's splines, and the pressure plate's splines are now slightly misaligned and sitting atop the corners of the hub's splines.

The clutch pushrod normally protrudes about 1-15/16" out from its seal face. If its protrusion is significantly less, say about 1-13/16" or less, that could confirm this unseated pressure plate.

A proper fix is to pull the right side clutch cover, and fix things.

A shadetree could try to get the plate to realign/settle by pushing the pushrod a little further, getting the pressure plate off the spline corners, and do some clutch bumping (trans in gear, bump/rotating the rear wheel fore/aft), while simutaneously working the pushrod in/out, feeling for the loss of pushrod slack. Not sure if that makes sense, sometimes difficult to describe this stuff...

Back