What do I actually need? Electrical wise, tracker build

How will I know which brush is the inner brush and which is the outer brush? will it be obvious?

Also, for the blue wire in that connector, since I do not want to have a neutral light I do not need to hook it to anything correct? It will not hurt anything to just let it be and not plug anything into it?

Yes, once you remove the round cover that says Yamaha on it the nut for the rotor is smack in the middle of the alternator. The brushes are in a straight line from the nut forward. The brush closet to the nut is the inner, the one farthest is the outer.
Here's a pic of what you will see when you remove the round cover. This pic shows which screws get changed to nylon when doing certain upgrades. Just ignore that for now. If you look at the pic you will see the inner brush is held in by screw #1,2 and 4. The outer brush just by #3
It maybe that somewhere along the line your stator was replaced by an aftermarket unit. This maybe why it has two green wires.
I also posted a pic of your brushes.
On the blue wire yes it can just be left alone.
Leo

Attachments

• nylonscrews2.jpg
    nylonscrews2.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 127
  • 24-2650.jpg
    24-2650.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
So just to clarify, the inner brush should be that one that is grounded (should be black wire) and the outer brush is the one that goes to the regulator (should be green wire)?

I don't this this was answered yet, but does it matter which white wire goes where? I have the 3 white wires from the alternator and the 3 white wires on the rectifier, does it matter which one goes where?

As Grinder said "Nope it doesn't matter." The reason it doesn't matter is that there is three phase AC current flowing in those wires. With AC it don't matter so much about which wires go where.
Leo

ok, the middle wire was the black one and the outside one was the green wire, I checked it with an ohm meter.

I have another question though, do I need to ground the coils themselves or just the black wires that come from the pamco? the way I have the coils mounted they are insulated from the frame, therefore not being connected to the negative. If I need to ground the coils themselves (from the metal rod that goes through the middle) then would I just hook a wire from the metal rod to the frame?

Thanks

The coils or do you mean coil? On the Pamco unless you have rephased the engine you will have just one coil. It will be a dual output coil. Being a dual output coil it doesn't ground where it mounts to the frame. Removing the coating on the ends of the steel core of the coil and where it mounts so it is a clean metal to metal connection will help dissipate the heat from the coil.
Leo

It is rephased, I have two of those giant ugly green monster coils. They are attached to my frame with pipe grounding clamps that are insulated from the frame

Back