what do i need

b1broc

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I bought a 78 xs 650 motor only i need to know what electronics i have to hook up to hear it run
owe looking for a good frame with a title i live in quad cities I'll

What would this motor take as far as ingnition or points how do i tell what should i run to have a solid running bike like i say all i have is a 78 full motor and tranney not sure whats there and what i have to buy to set up my bike

It's (was) a points motor. you need two coils and a pair of condensers you also need to post this in Garage not classified. Many go to the Pamco electronic setup to replace the points

What you really need is a TITLE, without that it's just parts.

Step one. Get a repair manual. biker.net has factory manuals you can down load. Get a repair manual
Does your engine have the points under the chrome cove on the left side of the head and the ATU on the right?
If so you need to set the cam chain tension, adjust the valves, setr the points gap then the points timing. All this is in the repair manual. I could write it out all again, but I won't. Look it up.
Did I mention get a repair manual?
Also read this, www.amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf
Once you do that you need a solid place to mount the engine. A frame or engine stand of some sort.
Now to make it run you need a good set of carbs mounted. A fuel tank. A battery. Some wire. Coils. Condensers. Plugs and plug wires.
In your repair manual it has diagrams that show how to hook up the coils, points condensers and hook them to a battery with a switch. Once you get this all done you should be able to kick start it.
Good luck.
Leo

Back