What do you have on your mind to build over winter

I'm doing an XS650 Special rebuild. So far, I plan on putting in the big 750cc kit, Ninja carbs, Powerdercoating the engine/wheels, etc... Still not sure what I'm going to do with the rear end, though.

already built a bobber and it runs great. Now im getting an itch to do another bike. im thinking a cafe similiar to this
Yamaha-XS750-Cafe-Racer-2.jpg

gee, you guys are making me start to feel ambitious. I am planning on finishing up my '66 CB 77 (Honda 305 Super Hawk) cafe racer. Needs wired and thats the most of that one. I will also be sending out the heads on my 76 BMW R 75/6 for new valve seats and guides ( unleaded gas causes severe recesion in these old airheads) and will do some more maintainance on it. THEN I GO TO THE GOOD STUFF ! I bought a '75 and '79 XS 650's two years ago and havent even started on them. I worked on the '75 years ago when it belonged to a friend, and really hated to see it go. Now its going to be a priority this winter. Havent decided what to do with '79. May sell it.

(I'm retired, if you havent already guessed that.)

I picked up a 71 frame a few days ago. I'm planing on using it for my first build also my first bike. I'm hoping with my 5 years experience in diesel mechanics and a lot of help from you guys I can turn it into a decent looking bobber. Nothing crazy just want to get my first bike under my belt.

I couldn't wait because winter is riding season.
here is the newest member bike #4
from the basket case it was to this

Attachments

• IMG_20151024_075732.jpg
    IMG_20151024_075732.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_20151024_075750.jpg
    IMG_20151024_075750.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
I picked up a 71 frame a few days ago. I'm planing on using it for my first build also my first bike. I'm hoping with my 5 years experience in diesel mechanics and a lot of help from you guys I can turn it into a decent looking bobber. Nothing crazy just want to get my first bike under my belt.

good luck the first build is a good learning experience

FINALLY,,
My parts are pretty much all delivered except for a coupla things I need to get for the engine. I will worry with those when that time is close. Been making a bunch of mounts and tabs over the past couple evenings. Headlight, brakes and a coupla other small things. Got the seat pan tacked on and my home made seat bolted down. Dropped my tank off at the local fab shop to have the filler cut out and moved to center, they are also gonna TIG in the fuel sight tube too.
When I get home from work today I am gonna finish the speedo bracket I started last evening and then get my rear wheel adjusters fabbed n tapped. I think instead of putting them behind the rear axle I am going to put them in front,,,does anyone have any pics of theirs that way?

SO I have always wanted to build a more bobber style bike, but one that handles and doesn't hurt my back. Thinking along the lines of a Harley 883 with moderate apes and fat tires. So I recently picked up an 86 Radian with a blown engine. And I have a nice low mileage XS 650 along with a frame. Was thinking of swapping the whole front end of Radian and rear end (of course) along with wheels both ends. Single seat with air ride springs, 14.25 shocks. Should be a nice rat ride!

Here is where I am at right now. I have a pretty long haul till it is done enough to ride.
The velocity stacks n screens should be here today then I can get the charging/ignition done. Then build a set of pipes with some fishtails. I'm pretty psyched to get it on the road.

Attachments

• 100_1475.jpg
    100_1475.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 173
  • 100_1477.jpg
    100_1477.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 181
  • 100_1481.jpg
    100_1481.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 161
Complete my 72, just need front master cylinder, rear sprocket and chain, new paint and some adjustments. Convert it to a cafe racer and I have a second 72 engine. With this one, I'm going to a 700c conversion, rephased, PMA kit, pamco iginition and maybe new carbs. When this second engine will done, I'll use it in my bike and just have fun with it. Got this bike for 18 years now, it's about time to do something with it :)

gt550s.jpg

If it's not too much of a sacrilege to mention the "S" brand on an XS board, I've finally found a suitable machine to scratch my itch for a 2-smoke street bike. It's a 1974 Suzuki GT550 triple.

gtparts.jpg

At the moment, it looks mostly like this :eek: I've torn it completely apart (except the engine which appears to be pretty solid) and will be cleaning/replacing/repairing as I reassemble it.

Only a couple of rude surprises upon disassembly. The wiring harness has been badly butchered which I knew going in. The same gorilla that butchered the wiring harness seems to have chopped the battery box in half as well. Also, the airbox/filters have been chopped up and the entire rear wheel/brake/hub/sprocket is completely wrong. Appears to be off a small Honda CB. Fortunately, I found a complete replacement on Fee Bay at a reasonable price.

Planning for an essentially stock rebuild with cafe' overtones.

I'd like to pull my motor out of my 1983 XS650 Heritage Special over the winter to replace my Valve Seals and maybe Rings too. The only thing I got to deal with is my garage has no heat:banghead:

Attachments

• 11949275_10206414763601249_3034624821278728994_n.jpg
    11949275_10206414763601249_3034624821278728994_n.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 122
Finishing up this wiring harness i bought from daddyg. Putting oil back in that motor today, then getting my wiring done. hopefully ill have her running again by christmas

Attachments

• IMG_2263.jpg
    IMG_2263.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 175
my garage has no heat:banghead:

I'm lucky and mostly work on the bikes in a heated garage. but bigger stuff in the shed isn't bad with a rubber or foam pad on the floor and a hair dryer pointed at where you are working.

Always liked the ram air zookies ever since a classmate bought a brand new red GT380. Had a 500 titan back in the day it was pretty quick.

Thanks Gary, more ideas in making the garage workable to pull motor. Then after working out the heat situation, I need to find something that can help me pull motor, I don't want to lay bike down on side to unhook everything.

I'm old and weak, with the bike on a lift I can still get the motor out and on to a waist high cart pretty simple or make the wife help a bit.....

Thanks Carbon, yeah watch that video last night, I'm not afraid to remove the motor, just don't want to damage it. Yeah Gary maybe two guys it wouldn't be so bad, but if I can get a hoist that be great.

Back