What do you pay for mc insurance?

xjwmx

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Somebody with some moving violations said they pay $450/yr. Somebody said that was a bargain in Saskatchewan. I pay $100/yr more or less but have never had a violation. Paid the same ever since I've had the bike, since 2008. Liability only, legal minimum I think.

My Helix and Royal Enfield's.. being less then 20 yrs old.. are about $95.00 each for the year. I have 12 others, all 20 yrs or older... .. insured for agreed'd value on each machine... with Jc Taylor.. all for $435.oo.

Somebody with some moving violations said they pay $450/yr. Somebody said that was a bargain in Saskatchewan. I pay $100/yr more or less but have never had a violation. Paid the same ever since I've had the bike, since 2008. Liability only, legal minimum I think.
Hi xj,
the thing about Saskatchewan's bike insurance is your only option is full comprehensive coverage with a million dollar payout limit.
Even the "antique" insurance has the same third party limit, just the insured vehicle's damage is maxed at $1,500 with a $700 deductible.

legal minimum in MD, no violations in over seven years, 2002 VStar 1100 and 1981 XS650, $107/year

Legal minimum in MA, no violations for probably 20 years., two XS650's , $115 each.

Minimum coverage in Washington, clean record, $107/yr. 2/3rds of that is uninsured/underinsured coverage since about 1/3rd of the cars around here aren't insured.

For the legal minimum coverage in Michigan my insurance would be less than $70 per year with Progressive. But, Michigan requires an additional TAX of just over $100 to be used for riders who do not have medical insurance. Don't understand where that money goes after mandated health insurance. Also, I have to feed that pool for every bike that I insure, bastards, I can only ride one bike at a time. This, from the same state that dropped their helmet laws after being lobbied by bar owners near the Ohio/Indiana borders.

I'm not talking politics here, I'm talking actual legislation.

Scott

Last edited:
Minimum coverage in Washington, clean record, $107/yr. 2/3rds of that is uninsured/underinsured coverage since about 1/3rd of the cars around here aren't insured.
Ya we need to have under and uninsured coverage heer in Coeur d Alene to protect us from those Washinton drivers. We are only 20 min from there boarder. I go with Hagerty with agreed upon value on 4 bikes. About $400. year. Values are between $6,000-410,000 per bike.

But, Michigan requires an additional TAX of just over $100 to be used for riders who do not have medical insurance.
Here you don't have to have a helmet if you have medical insurance, otherwise there's a helmet law.

legal minimum I pay $118 year per bike that includes $5000.00 personal injury rider. We dont have a helmet law in PA for riders over 18 and with over 2 years riding experience. A state trooper told me that the insuance companys got the helmet law repealed because in the event of an accident they would rather see us die than pay for dissability expences for life. I wear a helmet most of the time.

I'm paying about 230Euros per annum to insure three bikes fully comp. Oddly, it was cheaper to insure fully comp than it was to take the bare theft cover. The ways of the insurance hyenas are strange.

Wow, most of you pay almost nothing for insurance.

In British Columbia with ICBC, last year for regular motorcycle plates, I was quoted around $100 +/- per month with a 3 month minimum (that was with collision).

Collector plates are substantially cheaper, but have use limitations and can be hard to get if your machine is not 100% stock.

In Ontario my premiums just went up 15% after our Provincial Government mandated insurance companies to lower premiums.
Now $52.68 per month per bike (12 month policy, no options). That's for older bikes like our XS650's, pl/pd no collision.
Newer bikes are a whole lot more. No multi bike discounts possible.

Vintage Insurance is available for a lot less but you are limited to riding to shows or in parades, 1000 kms per year. No daily riding allowance, no Sunday cruizin.

Buggers!

In Alberta, one Suzulki Boulevard, 12 months $239

One 650 XS, 12 months $173

Total for two bikes $412

New York State minimum coverage on my 4 licenced XS650's @ $25 each = $100
That's not vintage, just regular coverage, no restrictions.
You are all welcome to move to NYS.
I'll plan a ride to the Catskill Mountains.:)

upload_2018-4-5_8-2-19.jpeg

Back