What do you tow your bike around with

member3480

RICH
Reaction score
Over the years of being in the bike world it was just as cool to have not only a great looking bike but a tow vehicle too. I have had VANS-PICKUPS-TRAILERS and now I am doing a old 71 NOVA and even that it going to have a 396 power plant its going to have a trailer hitch to tow a trailer. Guys that come to my garage get a eye opening when they come here. My buddy who shares the garage is OLD like me RETIRED and loves to restore cars. So right now we got a 68 GTO - 65 Valant - 58 Ford ELRancho. So just not a motorcycle garage. So if time allows me we are going to do a Old Truck as a shop truck. SO HERE"S MY QUESTION WHAT'S YOUR TOW VEHICLE

Hey DaddyG, the tow stuff I have out here is mostly rough/ranch stuff. Nothing fancy, just gets 'er done.

1990 F-350 dually, 460, lariat supercab, 18500 gtvw, 5th whl, contractor's box(s), class IV 2" box, 5 ashtrays
1990 S-10, 4.3l, 4x4 sport, class II 1-1/2"
1999 tahoe, 5.7l, class III 2" box
1973 vega, 327 w/ a/c, class II 1-1/2"
18' utility flatbed, mod for hauling tractor, bike mounts/tiedowns

Been looking for a gadget I've seen, but can't find: 2" rcvr bike front wheel flip-up tow hitch.
(You roll the bike front wheel onto/into narrow cage at ground level, lash down, lever it up and latch.)

Last edited:
When needed the bikes go IN the sprinter van. 5 cyl diesel With speed kept reasonable 65-70, mileage stays around 25 On one collecting trip I got 4 bikes in there even though it's the shortest version. Last road trip we had the futon, a large conduit bender, one bike in the van and one on a hitch mounted carrier. When really filling the van with bikes removing foot pegs and pedals helps a bunch.

parts 003.jpg

jptrip2013 003.jpg

jptrip2013 006.jpg

Well, I only tow mine once a year, for the mandatory March inspection. (What genius decided bike inspections should be due in March, I'll never know).

Just upgraded my tow vehicle to this:

nutruk.jpg

Mine was a 1986 Toyota Suprra with angle iron from a bed frame; cut to sandwitch the front forks with a whole cut in both pieces of angle so the axle would go throgh. The chain was removed and straps were attached to the handkebars and bumper. It worked great.

I used to own a '88 Ford Ranger extended cab XLT. Hauled many a bike in it's bed. A bit more than a year ago I sold it and bought an '05 Ranger 4 door XLT. I've since hauled a bike or 2 in the bed.

MMMMMMm I likes the looks of a flathead V-8. Offy heads?

You always need a trailer if you own a bike or ride with friends. I remember a guy who was visiting NY City and drove his Goldwing over a cement stop in a parking garage and the dealer wanted $2800.00 to fix the bike and I went and picked it up and he tried to rent a truck from NY to FL where he lived and that was over $1000.00 . So he rented a pickup from enterprise $65.00 day no miles and I sold him my ratty trailer and he drove home. So its always good to have one around even if it don't look good.
Someone always needs one and you don't have to lend out your truck.

My Volvo V70 and a landscaping trailer.
0612010801.jpg

Due to my work commute, I need decent gas millage. My V70 gets about 26 MPG. I have room for the wife and kids, while towing a pop-up camper. It has a 3500 lb towing capacity. My last Volvo I sold it with 300K mikes on it, running fine. I hope to take this one to 300K miles plus. I like the utility of a mini-van, but I can't bring myself to do it.

Back