What engine components are aluminum steel etc

theblackassassin

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So I picked up a 6 gallon parts washer from harbor freight and some of the degreaser they offer there to start cleaning my engine parts while I am overhauling the engine. I noticed when I got home that the bottle of degreaser says do not use on soft metals such as aluminum alloy zinc and copper......
That being said. I am curious to know what engine components should I NOT clean with this product.
I did infact clean one of the side covers with it just to see what type if reaction it may have with aluminum. I don't see any side effects but would just like to make sure before I go any further in this cleaning what I need to be precautious about.
Below is two pictures of the bottle of degreaser I got.
Also I started a thread a little while ago about what products you guys use etc and kerosene was one of the ones that was highly suggested.
Could I use kerosene in a parts cleaner? Sounds like a dumb question because there is an electric pump and kerosene is flammable but I need to ask before I continue.

That being said let me here what y'all have to say

I am very gratious to all your oppinions

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 141
I'm guessing Turk is telling you to touch a magnet to the part in question. If there is attraction that metal is ferrous (iron based, like steel) and if not it's on the list of things not to clean with this stuff.

DO NOT put kerosene in that parts washer. It should say on the pump or washer not to use flammable liquids.

I think I might have the same washer (Blue and red) Only use water based cleaners in it

Back