1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

What exhaust headers are compatible?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Tiesco, Feb 18, 2020.

1. Tiesco

Tiesco XS650 Addict

Hello, i was wondering if different years of exhaust headers will work with a 1977 xs650 and be able to bolt onto the frame? I'm looking at a pair on ebay that are pretty cheap and are either off a 71 or 72.

2. Machine

Machine Race the wind Top Contributor

I don't think so.. Maybe 76

Jim likes this.
  3. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge, is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Here... this will help for future reference. Here's a link to Partzilla. Click on the year, in your case a 77. Find XS650, then look for your part. Once you find it, click on the part number listed on the right side. That brings up this page that lists fitment for all years and all bikes. It's pretty handy in that sometimes a part you need is still being made for a different bike. An Ebay search is much easier when you have different bikes to choose from..... read that cheaper. ;)

Untitled.png

YamadudeXS650C, Raymondo and gggGary like this.
  4. gggGary

gggGary Stop that! XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

This Yamaha 447-14610-03-00 EXHAUST PIPE ASSEMBLY L fits the following models and components:

Yamaha Motorcycle 1974 TX650A EXHAUST TX650A - XS650B

Yamaha Motorcycle 1975 XS650B EXHAUST TX650A - XS650B

Yamaha Motorcycle 1976 XS650C EXHAUST XS650C

Yamaha Motorcycle 1977 XS650D EXHAUST XS650D E E006501- F

I'm almost 100% percent certain 78 79 standards are also the same, the mufflers are.
    The fiches don't list standard exhaust for those two years prolly why the part number doesn't show for them.

YamadudeXS650C and Jim like this.
  5. gggGary

That Jim is a fast un. Note my addendum that I am about certain 78-79 are also the same.

Jim likes this.
  6. Tiesco

Tiesco XS650 Addict

Damn. I feel like I've been trying to find the answer to this question ass backwards in the way that I've been searching around. Thanks for your help guys.

My previous exhaust was a 2 into 1 that runs underneath. The center stand that I added gets in the way.

Is there any muffler that you guys like the sound of?

7. gggGary

stock is good but they seldom are "any" good.
    Mikes longer commando's used to be the goto but they changed venders, now not as much.
    Watch out for the emgos that "look right" they are just too restrictive.

8. Tiesco

Tiesco XS650 Addict

Should I be concerned about back pressure? I wasn't really going to consider that in the purchase of mufflers

9. gggGary

Usually not an issue 'less they are really straight through, then jetting may be needed.

10. GLJ

GLJ Never go faster than your guardian angle can fly. Top Contributor

There is one 2 into 1 that will work with a centerstand.
    upload_2020-2-18_13-39-51.png

Tiesco and gggGary like this.
  11. Tiesco

Tiesco XS650 Addict

Ok thanks for the Info.

12. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge, is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Yeah... this method isn't the be all to end all. It's pretty effective, but sometimes doesn't cover all years.

gggGary likes this.
  13. Team Junk

Team Junk XS650 Addict XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Any idea who made those.Looks like the pipe I have on my bike and haven't been able to figure out where they came from.

14. GLJ

GLJ Never go faster than your guardian angle can fly. Top Contributor

upload_2020-2-18_14-22-14.png

15. Tiesco

Tiesco XS650 Addict

Thanks for the pic GLJ. I ordered a set of headers off Ebay today and I plan on getting some mufflers at some point

gggGary and GLJ like this.
  16. Team Junk

Team Junk XS650 Addict XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

gggGary likes this.
  17. TwoManyXS1Bs

TwoManyXS1Bs BBQ Hunter Top Contributor

Warning, the engine sets lower in the 70-73 frames, and the 70-73 pipes have slightly shorter downtubes...

GLJ and gggGary like this.
  18. TTManiac

TTManiac XS650 Member

The ones hitting the junk pile behind the garage always sounded best to me. Straight pipes!

Tiesco, gggGary and Team Junk like this.
  19. Tiesco

Tiesco XS650 Addict

I've got my eyes on the mufflers off an old trimming platform out behind the shop on my farm.

20. Tiesco

Tiesco XS650 Addict

I found a set of headers off the same year as my bike on ebay so we should be good.

TTManiac and GLJ like this.