What happens if i dont use an advance unit?

Jawknee21

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I bought my xs with a pamco already installed and it didnt have the advance unit. it seemed to run fine, and i rode it for a few months with no advance. What does it do if i dont have one? its an 83...

Jawknee21,

That's you! How is the PAMCO installed? Just the advance rod or a threaded rod holding it in the cam shaft?

If you set the timing about midway between the "U" mark and full advance, which is about where the drain slot is, then the engine would probably run fine except that you would probably lose some power above 3,000 RPM and you should use 93 Octane gas to prevent detonation.

I can't believe what some people do to these poor bikes, lol. It may run but it certainly isn't running as good as it could. Probably has the power of a 350, lol.

Haha. Thanks for reminding me that I'm an idiot. It is really slow. And I really don't know anything. I never said I did. So I should buy an advance unit then? Haha. It's not like i took it out. I bought the bike (my first bike) and it was running and it didn't have it...

Posted via Mobile

Hey, Jawknee21, that's O.K., you just don't know. None of us knew anything before we knew it, eh? (I still don't know much!) The advance unit makes the spark occur a tiny bit earlier and earlier as the engine speed increases. That is so the spark can ignite all the fuel mixture in the cylinder at the "right" time. Kind of like when you are firing a gun st a moving target and you need to "lead" your target more the faster it is going so the bullet arrives at the same spot that your target does...and whammo! You know? (If not, say so and I'll try harder to explain.) Anyway, your bike will probably run without an advance unit, but it sure will run a whole lot better with it! Let me know how it turns out for you after you install the proper advance pieces. Oh, by the way, congratulations on your good taste in first motorcycles!

Haha. I'm calling me stupid. I barely know anything. This bike will help me learn though. I had to ask pamcopete today what the rotor was. So i really do appreciate the little kid answers. Ha. So is there a list of stuff I need? What is the best/cheapest way to get all of it? I already just bought a new regulator and coil from mikes last week. So this could explain why my bike only goes about 70?

Can someone tell me what they did/didnt do and what I'm missing?

c81dc14b.jpg

a975e488.jpg

Posted via Mobile

Dude, we all started knowing nothing. You are asking questions and wanting to learn, so not one of us can knock you for that.

I just feel like an idiot asking these dumb questions. I'm sure there's some people that would want to say, "why do you even have a motorcycle?" or "take it to a shop". I do want to learn though...

Posted via Mobile

It appears someone simply removed the advance unit and put a stack of washers in it's place. It looks like you have the advance rod and the little disc that ties the rod to the advance unit. You just need the advance unit, Mikes part #14-0652. You should end up with something that looks like this once all the parts are there .....

CorrectAdvanceInstall.jpg

It looks like you will need a new advance unit and the large nut that holds it in place. I cant tell if you will also need the small locating pin that "clocks" the advance unit and holds it in place. It looks like it may still be there, but I'm not sure.

On the plus side you will now have some extra washers to use on something.

Hey, Jawknee21, I'd really recommend you find a Haynes manual for your year 650...they have great diagrams and parts "blowups" so you can see what the parts look like and where they go. I have a Haynes and a Clymer and to me the Haynes is much better.

Cool. That's helpful. This bike is so hacked. Jeez. Do 83s even come with the advance rod? Did someone add half of what's supposed to be there? So it's just the one part that I need to buy? Is the black part behind the copper pieces included? i don't need anything else like the locating pin, bushing, Gaskets or anything else? The big nut is the cogged retainer nut? It takes a week for shipping From mikes so i would like to get everything at once. Thanks for the help guys...

Ahhh! I wanna ride my xs again!

Posted via Mobile

Hey, Jawknee21, I'd really recommend you find a Haynes manual for your year 650...they have great diagrams and parts "blowups" so you can see what the parts look like and where they go. I have a Haynes and a Clymer and to me the Haynes is much better.

Haha. That's the first thing I bought. It doesn't really help me though. I'm more of a hands on learner. It doesn't seem the same on paper. I'm trying though. I was awfully proud of myself when I got my motor out and back in on my own. Haha...

Posted via Mobile

Could this explain the no top end speed and the engine seeming like Its going to die sometimes when I'm stopped at lights?

Posted via Mobile

i found pamcopetes how-to stuff. It didnt make any sense before but its making more sense the more i read it. still not 100% though. I dont even know how to set timing! haha. looks like another tool ill need to buy. haha. im going to be learning a lot this time.

any specific type of timing light i need to buy? or just a regular one? autozone has some that has an advance degrees readout, the cheaper one doesnt...

Ok. I took mine apart and there's only 1 washer on the advance side. And I can only find 2 of those brass bushings. Why does pamcopete say I need 3? And there is a few locating pins but I'm not sure which ones are which There were 2 that i saw in the rod. Besides that I don't know where to find the others...

Posted via Mobile

I ran an xs without advance for about 7 years, set the timing to full advance, it will be quicker on pick up, with no lack of performance, and always ticked over perfectly, though it will run hot in town where the retard would come in, I think the new Honda 4 stroke outboard boat engine runs with virtually no retard so it picks up quicker, to try and get people away from 2 strokes

Last edited:
Back