What have i done? First Build

andrsn

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I joined the board to post my progress, or lack there of, and get some advice. I wanted to build an xs650 chopper over the winter, so I bought a custom frame and a parts bike off a kid on craigslist. The frame was made here in Oregon for an xs650 engine and the parts bike looks as if it was wrecked and has been sitting in a salvage yard (last titled in 81').

I'm gonna have about a billion questions as I go along, so check back and try and steer me in the right direction. I just acquired a garage (fully heated, carpeted and funky). I built a stage for the bike and I'm working on getting the rest of my tools in there.

First I'm gonna try and get the motor to a usable condition, then I'll just keep chugging along. I want to finish by the spring (its supposed to be really wet in the NW this winter, so I should have a lot of shop time). I've got some pictures here, the motor is pretty rough looking, but it turns over just fine (low compression however). The frame looks rad, just a little surface rust. The forks has some bad pitting and the rear wheel has a big ol' dent in it (I hope those things are cheap).

Anyway, mocking up the frame the first night I got the bike should give me enough inspiration to keep going. I'll try and keep the photos coming, and in exchange please keep the advice doors open, thanks.

5090851988_69ea1fe2f6_b.jpg

5090851844_8009eea27d_b.jpg

5090254625_636db06301_b.jpg

Dropkick Murphys!:thumbsup:

Oh, and that carpet is rad! haha

Good project you got started there! I just started working on my project yesterday and I'm a newbie too! Later

I envy your digs! Sleeping on the shop floor is under-rated....
Any more info on the origins of the frame?? I like how the neck gussets are welded to the sides of the backbone, instead of one plate centered on the bottom. Thats something that is overlooked on alot of homebuilt chops. Takes alot of the pivotal stress off of the point at the end of the gusset. Nice lines and rake too!

Craig

The tail section was bent from the crash, I figured a stock xs650 frame that was possibly compromised wasn't worth anything.

Got started on the motor. Everything inside is pretty clean, the oil looked good too. I think the top of the pistons took all of the damage and junk. The carbs are missing, gotta find some of those. A bunch of junk was sitting on top of the pistons, but everything below looked great.

I think I'm gonna split the case anyway to replace the seals, there was some oil sitting in some of the external areas where I think it doesn't belong.

5091847828_6f6307b8f1_b.jpg

5091847902_344edf1711_b.jpg

I need to get a gasket set and seals, where is the best place to order that stuff from? Anyone have any carbs they wanna sell too?

nice start.. how does that harbor freight welder work for you? im thinking bout buying one..

Its my room mates, I haven't used it yet. I also haven't welded since high school. It seems to do alright, but I'm the last person you should be asking for advice about welders.

First thing I ever bought from Harbor Freight was one of those 110v gas MIGs...First and LAST....In fact I took a sledge to it before I chucked it to save any possible dumpster-diver from the same hassle....

Craig

lol, well im gonna get the mig 151 and see how its works, lot of good reviews, im gonna change out the ground and few other things

I'm currently trying to get the engine case ready to split. I can't get one of the side covers off and I can't find simple instructions for it anywhere. Does anyone know if there are more than the 6 or so screws holding the left cover on? I removed all of the allen head screws, took the kickstart lever off, popped off the little cover thing etc... It seems like there is something else holding it on. What am I missing?

Right cover, or did you remove the shift lever? Both sides are normally stuck on pretty good, some serious knocking, prying is sometimes needed especially on the right side. Seems like the last one I took off came loose top front and I slipped a putty knife in as far back as I could get it without forcing then used a rubber mallet on the top front so the cover separated in the lower back. The gasket split naturally. Parts stuck to the case, parts to the cover. It is nice to keep the kick start shaft in the case rather than the cover. photos as you go are always a good idea.

Looks like it's gonna be a nice ride. Here is a link to Wiseguys Choppers and Customs on Evil-bay, they have bead blasted rear mags for $50+29 shipping. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...item=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_2256wt_1161 Just missed one last week (private sale) in like new condition, went for $12+20 shipping. I'm gonna go with the blasted one myself, easier to paint... Good luck with the build.

Alright, I still can't get this left cover off. I've been prying at it, it moved a little but it won't go any further than about 1cm in any place along the edges. It seems to be binding at the shift lever rod. Check out the pictures below. Do I have to do anything else to free the cover? Does it have to be in neutral? I've been drenching it in liquid wrench and other penetrating fluids, no improvement.

5097657123_d8a6fdb671_b.jpg

Well it could be stuck on the shifter rod does the rod turn? If not get your wedges around the cover so it's out as far as you can get it and give the end of the shift rod a smack, a chunk of aluminum between the rod and your smacker is nice to prevent damage to the end of the rod. See if that gains you anything. If so wedge it further and repeat. There are two dowel pins that serve to align the cover I am not sure which two bolts they are at. From the way it looks one or more of the pins could be rusted in too.
There is a bolt forward that you don't have circled but l'll assume you saw that.

cover2.JPG

cover5.JPG

cover6.JPG

Last edited:
Saw the dowel pins, It must just be jammed on the shift rod. the shift lever was bent up, when it was crashed, it must have damaged the shift rod too, it does turn freely with some effort. I'll go at it some more and see what happens.

Back