What have you done to your XS today?

Maybe this will assist you.
Just took pic of the right side.

002.JPG

Clip-ons have one big flaw I discovered. When you try to park your XS on its side going 20 km/h, it's going to put a dent in your tank.

250966838a964d_o.jpg

Jimbo W, on my XS SH I find the best way to remove the carbs is to remove the following
  • Filter/air boxes
  • Oil dip stick (plug the hole with tissue so nothing falls in)
  • The big domed nut on the cam chain adjuster
  • Left side cover to get clutch cable out of way
  • Breather pipe
  • Obviously the throttle cable/fuel line.
Seems a lot of work but opens up lots of room for removing the carburetors. Also, now that I have Allen screws holding the float bowl in place it is very easy to adjust the fuel level with the carbs left in place. Just made an adjustment yesterday and it was a breeze.

Wow, that is a lot of stuff to remove Paul but I can see having the air boxes out would really help. Will have a go at the weekend if I'm feeling brave & don't come up with too much displacement activity.
Have been thinking how to get a fuel filter in there too. So little room & the fuel hose is really short already but if I get the carbs out really should do it.

The biggest time consumer is removing the side cover and this probably costs me 10 minutes including the foot rest and gear change. But time costs me nothing so I go for as much clear space as possible. If you ever unscrew the float bowl with the carbs still mounted then beware not to drop a screw because it will probably drop into the space behind the front sprocket. Then you will have to take the left side cover off.

I hope you get everything sorted for a final ride before Winter sets in.

Last night I finished making the block for the magnet for the speedo. Well almost. It still need to drill the hole in it and the front wheel to secure it in place. Final filing so it fits the SG's wheel. I used JB Weld to glue it all together. I also mounted the speed sensor on the front fork. Almost have to look for it to see it.

Wow, that is a lot of stuff to remove Paul but I can see having the air boxes out would really help. Will have a go at the weekend if I'm feeling brave & don't come up with too much displacement activity.
Have been thinking how to get a fuel filter in there too. So little room & the fuel hose is really short already but if I get the carbs out really should do it.
There is a fuel filter discussion, with MaxPete, just above.

Got my new tires mounted today! The old original ones were dry rotted to hell. FYI the shop said they have a lot of issues with tires from the internet and the way they band them together causes the bead to deform and not to sit right. They had to over inflate mine and let them sit overnight to get the bead to seat.

Got my new tires mounted today! The old original ones were dry rotted to hell. FYI the shop said they have a lot of issues with tires from the internet and the way they band them together causes the bead to deform and not to sit right. They had to over inflate mine and let them sit overnight to get the bead to seat.

Yikes! That doesn’t sound very nice.

Finished up the "Rust"oration chopper build, since this bike is going to the Texas coast with me for the winter I built it from mostly junk I had laying around. the frame was a freebee due to having the hardtail welded on crooked, took me a week to fix it, the forward controls are made up of some apehanger handlebars, early front motormount brackets and bicycle cranks, the front brake is a two piston MX master and caliper with a turned down XS rear disc on a home made bracket for a mini disc brake( which actually works better than any of my XS's) and almost gives the wheel the look of a 21 inch, I tried a mini drum brake and it was worthless., elect box is a shovelhead air scoop, front fender reconfigured off a beach cruiser bicycle,
the chain roller is a uerethane suspension bushing from a toyota 4x4 which I machine bearing pockets into ( could'nt find a skateboard wheel) as it turns out its the quietest chain roller! ETC, etc.
The reason for the dirty looking engine and clearcoated rust is that everything rusts on the coast so I figured I'd get a headstart on it, I am not about to take one of my polished and spitshined XS's to the coast. when I'm down there I live right on the beach in a house trailer with no garage.
I'm not thrilled with my choice of frame color now that its together but maybe getting some age on it will make things look better.
I have to say, the Wiseguys intake and carb setup is nice, ran good ( although rich @ 5000 ft) right out of the box, should be about right for sealevel, the only thing I changed was to put a 45 degree cuppler hose on it to get the carb closer to the frame and installed some "real" hose clamps.
Now I can get on with my Tracker build.
001.JPG
007.JPG
005.JPG
002.JPG
003.JPG
004.JPG
006.JPG

The biggest time consumer is removing the side cover and this probably costs me 10 minutes including the foot rest and gear change. But time costs me nothing so I go for as much clear space as possible. If you ever unscrew the float bowl with the carbs still mounted then beware not to drop a screw because it will probably drop into the space behind the front sprocket. Then you will have to take the left side cover off.

I hope you get everything sorted for a final ride before Winter sets in.

Dropped a carb screw and didn't hear it hit the floor. Spent a LOT of time looking for it. Finally located after 1/2 of left side cover removed. I learned and put a towel on the engine. managed to drop another carb screw, but finding it only took 4 seconds.

OK - I have been staring at it but I have to confirm Denisesewa - it that soup can looking thing down on your LH fork - the speedometer?

May I ask how the heck you can read it way out and down there....or is it purely ceremonial?

OK - I have been staring at it but I have to confirm Denisesewa - it that soup can looking thing down on your LH fork - the speedometer?

May I ask how the heck you can read it way out and down there....or is it purely ceremonial?
Actually it's easy to see the 10 mph increments and it's line of sight without moving my head, totally functional ( for a chopper anyway)

Tonight I connected up the different Rt switch set. Made sure all the new dash connections are ready. Tomorrow it's time for Dash calibrations/checks. And wheel balance.

Back