What have you done to your XS today?

another perfectly good motorbike cut to pieces..
20180309_124246.jpg

Pulled the right side cover of my 1980 (bought last fall) to polish. Went to clean the gasket off the engine surface and found a tiny washer laying in the bottom near the clutch plates. Glad I pulled that cover!

Interesting. Can you tell us if it was a copper washer?

If it is a copper washer, it may belong on one of the lower 5-6 socket head cap screws (Allen head screws) that secures that cover.

If it is not a copper washer than....from where the heck did it come?

KIck starter thrust washer?

If you can measure the ID and OD and post a little picture, the wizards on this forum can likely tell you what it is and what to do with it.

I apologize for being vague. Since the #8 washer was missing on the tach drive unit, I assumed the previous owner at some point, pulled the tach drive out to clean/grease/inspect it and didn't realize there was a washer down there. Just glad I pulled the side cover to do the polishing. Could have bit me in the ass further on down the road.

tachometer-gear-tx650axs650bc-xs650-b-1974-1976_bigyau0774d-12_7a2b.PNG

I decided that Jimi The Winter Bike (the '80) deserved a new seat cover, as even the interior patches I did last year have started to pull apart.

ride 012.JPG

So, $35 and 45 minutes later, voila:

80seat 002.JPG

The last one of these items from HondasVintage took me over 2 hours to install. This time I heated it up super-toasty in the clothes dryer just prior to installation, and covered the foam with plastic wrap to make it slippery.

Jimi is happy.

Last edited:
SAT. Alt. Rotor changed. Got some needed new hardware and installed them. Ran engine and Voltage is restored! Now if the weather would clear up
Sun.Checked valve adj. #1 Intake & Exhaust were a touch loose, so they got adjusted. #2 was fine. Checked carb balance and it was fine. Thinking of getting the 3 phase rectifier and ditch the Radio Shack ones. I'm going to a local electronic store in the morning and see what they got...

Jim, the foam was just "OK", beginning to get slightly stiff
Thanks for the info.... was worried about that. There's an upholstery shop just up the road that did some Cessna seats for me a few yrs. ago. They needed new foam and they did an excellent job. I'm seriously thinking about farming this part of the resto out...

Nice job Dude! Wow, very professional.
Never heard of the clothes dryer trick, slick idea!
Thanks Robin,
I must give creds to HondasVintage (EBay) for making seat covers that fit right and utilize the OEM fastening system.
This has been the case for this '80, and the '77 seat (which I no longer own, as you know).
It was also hunky dory for the '74 Kaw F11 seat which I covered; came out real nice.
However, I asked them if their cover for my '75 RD was made with the correct encased/sewn-in twine at the captured inner edge, and they said no, so one must be careful in buying their seat covers and ask questions up front.
Also, the material used is slightly less* substantial than the OEM material.
*correction: see below post #3681

The F11 seat:

ebay-5-004-jpg.104667

Last edited:
Back