What have you done to your XS today?

and the land of the texting Escalade twit;
THIS. Right here. I like this... so consistent with my experience!
Yeah.... 'cause unbelievably.... texting while driving in the state of Mo. is perfectly legal if your over the age of 20. Not real sure I understand the reasoning behind that one........ Friggin idiot lawmakers....

Don't fret the little clutch cover, Pete, I have a couple you can choose from.

Thanks Lakeview! Perhaps on our next dinner trip - or when you bring the Red Hammer in for a turn signal-fest! In the meantime, I'll just steal one off the '81 cafe bike.

Well, it was a big day for Lucille and I. We left Windsor at about 9:30 AM on a sort of “shake down” cruise in preparation for the big Vintage Yamaha Rally Expedition of 2018. By the end of the day when we wheeled into my driveway at home (23:58 local time), we had covered 417 miles (about 670 km). I will admit that I did spend several hours working on a couple of Daddy-do projects at the new apartment of Daughter #3 - but the remainder of the time was spent with my darling Lucille.

Lucille is not a beautifully restored museum piece. She has....patina...by the boat-load - and while I am working on tarting her up, I have faced the fact that I am really more into the functionality of the machine than her appearance. I bought her to ride - including long distance touring - and my first big trip will be to the VYR rally in Stecoah NC in September. So it was time to check her out on a long ride to ensure that any problems happen relatively close to home.

Our day included a 75 MPH blast (speed estimated - it was likely just at or under the 100 km/hr speed limit), a bunch of city riding including some stop and go, and a good deal of back road 70-90 km/hr, 4000 RPM pottering along in the pretty countryside of Elgin, Norfolk, Middlesex, Kent and Essex counties, plus a damned good fish & chips dinner at Port Dover (site of the famous Friday the 13th biker events) and even a very sudden, but heavy rain shower, which is always fun on a dark twisty road when your headlight is flickering.

I filled Lucille’s patina encrusted red ‘76 tank several times and averaged about 56 mpIMPg, which is good in my books. Oil consumption was nil and she started on the first or second prod of the button every time. She didn’t make any funny noises or smells, nothing leaked and not too much fell off (see below), and she handled like a lady.

I also tried some touring equipment that I have acquired. I used my trusty old MotoCentric tailbag and a cheap magnetic tankbag which has the typical clear plastic map window pocket on top. Inside the map pocket I stuck an old Garmin automotive GPS unit which I powered off a Chinoise dual USB/volt meter handlebar mounted unit that I bought on eBay for about $7.00 a while back. All of the gear worked like a charm and, even without any sort of windscreen, I was comfy and not too fatigued.
View attachment 122878
The key point is that she and I should certainly be capable of the VYR trip when the time comes. I returned home just before midnight with a bit of a sore bum and list of minor snags that needs to be addressed:
  • one of the instrument lights in her tachometer is burned out (surprise!!);
  • her horn is MUCH too wimpy for a trip to the home of the brave and the land of the texting Escalade twit;
  • Lucille’s headlight flickers sometimes (amazingly, I’ve never ridden her on a really dark night before) - that needs to be fixed - chop-chop;
  • her head gasket is weeping a bit - time for a re-torque;
  • her drive chain needs an adjustment;
  • her rear brake is a bit soft - adjustment needed;
  • it is time to replace the fuel lines as they've been on & off many times and the ends are getting soft;
  • it is also time to check the sump strainer again.
and last, but not least:
  • after 42 years, for some reason, the nice little round chrome cover-cap over top of the clutch adjuster fell off :wtf: - does anyone have an extra cover with which they would part?
Anyhow, nothing life threatening (hers or mine) happened and nothing that presages any dire unreliability. Basically, she performed everything I asked of her today in a reliable, effective, cost efficient, ladylike and graceful fashion. I’m impressed and I’ll call it a definite win.

As for Lucille, her reaction to the day can be summed up as:
View attachment 122871
Pete

Very nice Pete! Sounds like you’ve got your bike well sorted now!

I think so Bob....until the next time....
upload_2018-7-26_13-24-16.jpeg

Ok, need some advice. I just spent the last 4 hours succesfully retourqing the head, replacing the washers with brass ones from mikes, and fabricating a metal mount for my coil. I went to start it up and time it, and check the cam chain tension since I torqued the head. I removed the cam chain tensioner cap amd hooked up the timing light. I kick started it, it took 5-7 kicks, but it’s actually been harder to kickstart cold since installing the pamco. The timing light was showing it pretty much in time. I noticed a faint click sound near the coil a few times. I relocated the flasher unit near the coil after the metal coil mount because there wasn't room for it where it used to be. The bike died. I started it up again and it made the clicking sound a few times and ran weaker. I shut it iff and took off the tank. I noticed one of the 4-5 strands of the green wire going to the coil was frayed. I moved it a bit and it looks like the wire got broken a bit amd maybe wasnt making a good connection. Would that be enough for it to make the bike run weaker and then die? I was also wondering if the flasher being right next to the coil was crossing some wires or something. I don’t know if that would be possible. I don’t have any more electrical fittings. I’m considering a late night run to Wal Mart to finish the job tonight.

Last edited:
Ok, in the proper spirit of the forum, here is my follow-up post. I went to wal Mart and bought some connectors. I wasn’t about to take the Pamco off to bring it indoors to solder, so I yanked the extension cord off the shop vac and rolled the bike up to the closest parking spot, and soldered the sucker right there in the dark parking lot at 11:30 PM. Got her all buttoned up and started her up. Runs fine. Rechecked the timing; pretty good. So, if you have a pamco, amd the wires are connected, but maybe not all that good, that CAN cause your bike to run like Crap. I Just got back from a full moon night ride. I’m contemplating going back out to take a video.

TZ - yup, that parallels other people’s experiences with the Pamco. It is a great system and robust in service - BUT - the wiring and connections must be solid or performance is impaired.

Anyhow - glad you got it sorted out!

Pete

00CD390F-BE5E-4D3E-B8D3-2F8682454F44.jpeg
View attachment 122938 God damnit. I went for a ride last night after doing all this, but I didnt like the way the bike was running. The tach stopped working last week so I decided to swap the gauge cases back to black while i was swapping to my original tach this morning. I Wanted to double check the timing and the coil is clicking again! Wtf? I take the tank off and now I can see it- the coil is arching right from where the plug wire comes out to the frame where the original coil was mounted. I put a red line in the photo where it’s arching. Why is it doing this? Is my ground wire bad so it’s making it’s own ground, or do I just need to position the coil so the wires arent so close to metal?

Last edited:
OKAY- took the coil off the mount and tried just holding it in a differemt position while it was running. I got bit by the coil. Do these things just have to have a certain clearance from anything else or is something wrong? This is ruining my day off.

View attachment 122941 View attachment 122938 God damnit. I went for a ride last night after doing all this, but I didnt like the way the bike was running. The tach stopped working last week so I decided to swap the gauge cases back to black while i was swapping to my original tach this morning. I Wanted to double check the timing and the coil is clicking again! Wtf? I take the tank off and now I can see it- the coil is arching right from where the plug wire comes out to the frame where the original coil was mounted. I put a red line in the photo where it’s arching. Why is it doing this? Is my ground wire bad so it’s making it’s own ground, or do I just need to position the coil so the wires arent so close to metal?

I don’t know what coil you’re running, but I’m going to assume it’s high voltage. Electricity will always follow the path of least resistance.
I would inspect the plug wires where they plug into the coil. They look to be exiting at an angle. The wires may not be fully seated and connected to your coil , causing the electricity to slip by your plug wire and go straight to ground. The wire might be frayed or broken, causing the electricity to go straight to ground. Inspect the rubber insulating boot. Does it have any holes in it?
And a word about grounding. Anytime I have a wire going to the frame for ground, I always sand the paint off the frame mounting point so the wiring connector touches bare metal. Bad grounds can manifest themselves in strange ways. Good luck.

DB40BA46-0802-4D56-A60C-BBB2C34878F2.jpeg
0C61D5D0-1A9F-42DA-A3E2-F7630660FFD5.jpeg
The boots DO have holes in them, which is frustating because they’ve only been on there for like a week. I crimped the wires myself and I did pull them to inspect them, but they ARE fully seated in the coil. And my ground off the Pamco is bolted to the bare metal resister which is bolted straight into the frame, so that ground should be good as well. I modified my coil mount bracket to position the wires away from the frame. Here are pics of my new mounting position and the ground wire.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip. Looks like die-electric grease is on the shopping list now too. I don’t know what to do for boots now; I thought these would be a good solution. I can’t seem to find any boots that fit this “andrews” coil. I put it all back together and reset the timing. Took it for a ride up to the next exit and back. It seems to be running alright. I still need to check my valve clearances.

The setting sun has washed the burgundy out of the paint but here we are with the 76 on the lift preparing for a possible appearance at the fall 650 rally at Iron Horse.
Leaking petcock and float valve dumped gas into crank so I first drained that out then took off enough equipment from left side so that I could install a starter (that a PO had decided he did not need). Took the cleanest spare I had, tested it and went to install same.
First time doing this and what a chore. What with the exhaust crossover the centre stand and the exhaust pipes it was a real test of patience and (lack of) flexibility. Even on the lift. And yes, the PO painted the cases to match the tins.
The starter is on now and just have to get the gear cover on so I can jump the solenoid to see how bad or good the bendix spring is.
The starter plug I removed was a well crafted piece of kit.20180725_193633.jpg 20180726_160456.jpg 20180727_193543.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, I’ve had the bike running good and have ridden her around 50 miles since this afternoon. I have the original Green lit Tach, and the orange lit speedo I bought from Jim, and now I can’t decide which color I like better. I unplugged the turn signal canceler, and I have to insist that everyone should do the same. I have read so many posts about the “convenience”. Look, being on two wheels is not about convenience. Having your turn signals stop blinking while sitting at the light, or halfway through the turn, is not convenient either. God I wish I would have ripped that junk off months ago. So, what have I done to my XS today? including yesterday afternoon-
Retorqued head
Replace shit rubber washers with brass washers
Mount coil
Remove flasher canceling unit
Replace exhaust gaskets
Swap gauge cases from chrome back to black
Replace tachometer with original
Polish all chrome, wax all paint
Ride

Back