What have you done to your XS today?

My pleasure, I had tried to find info on those mufflers, YouTube videos or something thinking somewhere along the lines someone has had to have put them on an XS but didn't find anything. Figured if nothing else the videos may help someone else make a decision down the road somewhere.

Also, thanks for the compliments on the bike, I'm trying but it's still a 50 or so footer.

Just a quick couple of things today, relocated the ignition barrell to under the tank; frees up some space and gets rid of some wiring in the headlight. Also helps smooth out my clutch cable routing a little. Plus, at some point I am going to get an all in one electric tacho/speedo, so I needed to free up the mouting bolts for that anyway.

You can also see my NOS Telefix fork brace, supposed to be for a 'Zook GS750 I believe, fit with beercan shims and looks nice and chunky.
IMG_20181019_094309.jpg

P.S. The horn is not staying on top of the engine, don't worry.

Last edited:
Got a photo Aldo?

Nash - very nice sound indeed!

HBC - slick looking set-up. Photos when its all done please!
2F3's used on '79-'81 era XS750, 850, some 1100, also recent 600SRX

24OCT2018 added pic showing installed 2F3 - lens is much flatter than that of stock headlamp

25OCT2018 the 2F3 I got on eBay came from a 1980 XS1100L, which was fitted with 60/55W quartz halogen bulb vs. 50/40W stock XS650 incandescent bulb, so draws about 3/4 extra amp on hi beam and a bit over 1 extra amp on low beam. Dunno if the H4 bulb in the 2F3 I got was the original 60/55W one or a replacement of unknown W, but it drags the idle voltage as shown on my analogue voltmeter down more than I'm used to with stock 50/40W light. Am looking at "plug & play" LED choices.

25Oct2018 P.S. Went to check what W H4 bulb I had; turns out it's 100/80W, so obviously a replacement for the original 60/55W stock one somewhere back in time. I'm beginning to understand why it dragged my idle voltage down noticeably. Didn't run it very long that way (just checking that the headlight worked); I don't think the stock charging system would handle it without starting to smoke pretty quickly.

Attachments

• 2F3 Yamaha headlight.jpg
    2F3 Yamaha headlight.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 192
  • Yamaha 2F3-84303-A0-00 headlight as'sy.png
    Yamaha 2F3-84303-A0-00 headlight as'sy.png
    26.1 KB · Views: 174
  • 2F3 Headlight Swap.JPG
    2F3 Headlight Swap.JPG
    186.6 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:
Since we're heading for winter, I can start to think about chopping the rear loop off and tidying the rear up.
I had a little trial run with this seat from a crashed MotoGuzzi California custom, look kinda ok, and remarkably fits the frame rails just fine! Just need to remove the lock/special seat supports.
You can see my new exhausts on here, just waiting for some 8mm fuel line then I can do a video, I had previously being using 6mm ID and it had split.

received_336673993762377.jpeg

Last edited:
Here we go, after getting some fuel line and a 90 degreee filter I can finally run my new exhaust.
This was handmade by Ants on the UK XS650 forum from 1.5mm walled 1.5" stainless pipe, mandrell bent with handmade stainless mufflers.

It was 5°C / 41°F and I had just come off choke, so not super hot yet, I hope the cold was the reason for the slight popping on the right.... :rolleyes:

Also, here is my new ignition location and fork brace:
IMG_20181026_092436.jpg IMG_20181026_092539.jpg IMG_20181026_092507.jpg

Last edited:
aldo5468 Now that you ahve an H4 bulb reflector; put in a Broview S5 LED; brighter light, great low beam cut off, lower power draw, it's all good! Plug and play, if you are neat, the power supply fits in the can with the stock wiring. Installed these on 6 bikes now, 2 XS650s.
view down the road installed on a bike with a 7" reflector.
Low beam
broview S5 RSV low.jpg

High beam
broview S5 RSV high.jpg

I had to adjust the aim downward after these pics were taken, oncoming wasn't happy with me at this setting. Not all (hardly any?) LEDs are designed with a proper low beam cut off, the Broview DOES have a good one. I have always had to adjust the aim down some when installing broviews.

Last edited:
aldo5468 Now that you ahve an H4 bulb reflector; put in a Broview S5 LED; brighter light, great low beam cut off, lower power draw, it's all good! Plug and play, if you are neat, the power supply fits in the can with the stock wiring. Installed these on 6 bikes now, 2 XS650s.
view down the road installed on a bike with a 7" reflector.
Low beam
View attachment 128448
High beam
View attachment 128449
I had to adjust the aim downward after these pics were taken, oncoming wasn't happy with me at this setting. Not all (hardly any?) LEDs are designed with a proper low beam cut off, the Broview DOES have a good one. I have always had to adjust the aim down some when installing broviews.
Gary - Broview S5's coming up in web search appear to be either hi or lo beam but not dual. There's a Broview S7 dual, but it has an external power supply module. Becuz I've added a number of power supply and ground pigtails in my bucket for front running lights, voltmeter (signal and light) and GPS, I'm very tight on room in there now. I'd love to have the lumens you get from your Broviews, but I don't ride at night anymore, so priorities are daytime visibility and reduced power draw. So I've been looking at several different fan-cooled LED's that would not need more space behind the reflector - any experience or intel with them?

Aldo; Chug through this thread one of the inexpensive, $3.00!! (uses no room) leds is just fine for a trip to town or city night riding. Allison's Period piece has had one of those on for a year now So did restomod til I knew I would be running lots of rural night miles on the way home from the SE rally.
I've ridden a few night miles with those cheap bulbs no problem, super low watt draw too!
Here's the Broview S5 H4 fleabay search https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...t=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=broview+s5
they are now less than $30 a PAIR! I'm out, going to order two more.

Grzld 1 did a modded shell broview conversion putting the power supply behind the shell.
This looks pretty good 18 watt think of it as a city led
https://www.banggood.com/H4-18W-800..._L0C_mL_edlSyySHvINzvRc_9Ko&cur_warehouse=USA

Last edited:
Aldo; Chug through this thread one of the inexpensive, $3.00!! (uses no room) leds is just fine for a trip to town or city night riding. Allison's Period piece has had one of those on for a year now So did restomod til I knew I would be running lots of rural night miles on the way home from the SE rally.
I've ridden a few night miles with those cheap bulbs no problem, super low watt draw too!
Here's the Broview S5 H4 fleabay search https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...t=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=broview+s5
they are now less than $30 a PAIR! I'm out, going to order two more.

Grzld 1 did a modded shell broview conversion putting the power supply behind the shell.
This looks pretty good 18 watt think of it as a city led
https://www.banggood.com/H4-18W-800LM-Motorcycle-LED-Hi-Lo-Headlight-Motorbike-Motor-Light-Bulb-DC12-24V-p-1180797.html?currency=USD&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=cpc_elc1&utm_content=eddy&utm_ho=18 &utm_campaign=moto-dpt-list-ml-a-nr18&fbclid=IwAR1kgKFzhz5SD11WR3e2K0g8-DuBAKUS_L0C_mL_edlSyySHvINzvRc_9Ko&cur_warehouse=USA

Thnx for speedy reply and all the info - there's probably more than a few of us 650 guys interested in going the LED route; I know the guy who bought my XV1100 (to which I had fitted an XS650 headlight for more bucket room) a couple months ago is following the discussion on this forum to learn how to proceed. I decided to go with a Safego 20W 2000LM bulb on Amazon, pricier than the one you note above but more light output (still a long way short of your 8000LM Broview's, of course). From the dozen or so fan-cooled ones I looked at on the web, it looks like 2000LM is about the most available from fan-cooled, just-plug-it-in LED's. If anyone's found a higher-output fan-cooled one, please let us know.

Stopped by Cycle Gear to order a Shinko 230 front tire for The SG. Replacing the 712. It's an OK tire but it followed the rain grooves and tar snakes too much for me.

Stopped by Cycle Gear to order a Shinko 230 front tire for The SG. Replacing the 712. It's an OK tire but it followed the rain grooves and tar snakes too much for me.
Tar snakes nasty in the curves of a very ledgy road on hot day going into Colorado from here. I do not think any tire can handle them without bike squirming over snake fest.

20181029_125018.jpg 20181029_181942.jpg
Carb cleaning day at the compound!. Had started on a set for my '76 but on opening them up saw a set of Y55 needles and fatter mains than I needed, so looked at the set that came with my '76 driver and it had a complete set of correct brass. So all there was to do was to get busy. Did the rough cleanup with varsol, carb cleaner and elbow grease and then finished them off in the ultra sonic bath. I will finish final assembly tomorrow, but have to refresh a float bowl thread first.
Question. Are the emulsion tubes held into the body by friction only, or do the float bowls provide a back up to keep them in place? - 76 BS38's

Back