What have you done to your XS today?

Good for you, it makes all the work worthwhile. tim

What have you done to your XS today?
Today I gave her a wash
then got out the carnauba wax and waxed her.
lubed the drive chain
checked oil
ordered a new front master cylinder that looks retro instead of the modern one I have now. It will look much better and work well too.
................... hi guys ,,,well yesterday afternoon ,,, i pulled the pilots out off thecv38 carbys,,,,, they were a pig filthy anway i washed and cleaned them along with the fuel bowls they were dirty as welland i,ve currently got my carby and bits soaking in 98% petrol covered up of course so i am hoping to have better luck this time around regards oldbiker

Changed the oil. ...checked sump screen... with jb weld mod all is good with about 1000 miles on that. The trick is to let your engine warm up before take off!

Today I took off the cheap ebay pleated air filters and put some UNI pods on her. a quick rip around the neighborhood seems to say that high-rev breakup is gone. Finally, i can move on to actually tuning the carbs!

20140802_183232.jpgPut shorter rear shocks on....I like..now gotta lower forks a couple inches.

Walked into the shop sat down next to it and said can't wait to spend time with you this weekend. New parts arriving via UPS today to continue the build, that dude in the brown outfit might as well be Santa Clause and I am four years old again lol.

I didn't need it, didn't even really want it. But like a dummy I low balled and he said come get it. It was only 15 miles away so......

No title.

79sp5K 001.JPG

79sp5K 003.JPG

5054 miles. No keys, kept inside. minor rust. must of had electrical issues battery was out and there was a box of fuses.
Pulled the plugs, shot in some rust buster, pulled the carbs (gummed up) but nice.
Did a compression test 160, 162 I can live with that!
Missing side covers and lh foot peg throttle housing otherwise very complete and original was down very light, the (removed) engine guard worked.
Guy said it was in his grandparent's garage, a drug addled uncle left it there 30 some years ago.

I'm thinkin I'll fire the engine, see if the valve seals are OK and swap it into this, which developed a seriously deranged crank last fall.
79xsfall16.JPG

How 'bout "WayTooMany"...?

Wondered how long that would take!
WayWayTooMany about covers it.

Looks like the gas tank took about a decade to empty through the LH carb (it's always the left) It was so slow the float bowls and crankcase top don't have gas stains.
Used a hair dryer and the slide is moving, the throttle shaft turns but it's the tightest not rusted one i've seen so far funny what the residue from a gallon or two of gas will do to a carb. Gas tank was absolutely rust free inside, but it has one shallow dent on the top.

It's 79 in 77 clothes

Here's what's wrong.

It's kinda noisy when it's running too...........

I am getting the rebuilt engine ready for install.
I installed the 277 Pamco unit for a cam sent to Hughs HandBuilt :)
the Pamco for the 277 can be installed something like 16 ways
keeping that in mind
with left cylinder at TDC
and advancer installed correctly
Then install the Pamco Rotor to where BOTH magnets are horizontal when slid onto the advance shaft. Works everytime.
14941626325_431f90e2a1_c.jpg
[/url]pamco 277 010

after getting that right install washer and nut
14918634556_3e37a65f47_c.jpg
[/url]pamco 277 009

Mounted bobbed OEM turn signal housings to lower fork clamps with homemade grommet-and-sleeve anti-vibe mount.

Attachments

• Front signal mount_1.JPG
    Front signal mount_1.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 161
  • Front signal mount_2.JPG
    Front signal mount_2.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 159
Back