What have you done to your XS today?

New shinko super classic, mounted and lookin good.

You won! They look good!
DBACF348-A70D-462F-8AD2-75B8F8AB34BB.jpeg

God damnit. Tried swapping my new shinko tire on the rear. Tore a hole in the old inner tube taking off the old avon, and now the new spare inner tube is leaking from the valve stem. I have yet to successfully install a new innertube on this bike!! Now I can’t ride until Tuesday or Wednesday at the earliest, after overpaying the powersports place to do it or taking my chances buying more inner tubes. I was able to install a new inner tube/tire on the 16” chrome rim of my chopper in half the time and effort. I don’t like these 18” soft aluminum rims. Totally just killed my weekend. I don’t know how the hell you would replace a tube on the side of the road.
Put just enough air in the tube to get it’s shape, not expand it. It works wonders. Also, make sure you coat the inside of the tire with talc.

You speak Norwegian, or Google Translate??

We have friends who live in Billingstad near Oslo so I do speak a bit, but when I run out of words, I use Google Translate. I once gave about 2 minutes (in Norwegian) of a 20 minute technical talk at a conference in Trondheim. I wrote out what I wanted to say in English and my friend taught me how to pronounce it in Norwegian - and then I wrote it down phonetically so that I would make the correct sounds. After some practice with him coaching, I was told later that it was pretty accurate. Apparently, I have a Bergen accent (he is from there).

I finished the Norwegian portion of my talk by saying: “The remainder of my presentation will be given in English because I have now used all 136 Norwegian words that I know.”

It’s the only time I got a standing ovation before the main part of my talk even began.

Dropped off new Viton valve stem seals to the shop doing my head, almost ready but needs a little cut to make it flat. It had a low area between the cylinders near the cam chain tunnel. Nothing drastic but want to ensure leak-free so will get it done.

OH! I keep forgetting that 77 was the first year for the bigger forks. I really like the older style fender and caliper. They have much stronger “vintage” appeal.

I left work early today because it was 75!!! And the forecast rain got pushed back to 8:00. I dropped in on a buddy of mine, and his wife let him go on a ride! I took him on one of my favorite short trips down a picture perfect country road just outside of town, which he had never been on. He rode his Buell. My new shinko REALLY goes crazy on the rain grooves. I’m hoping it settles down as it wears a little more. My avon was already worn square from the 3300 miles I put on it last year. We’ll see how long this tire lasts at half the price.

Last edited:
I continued stuffing around with my exhaust - tack welded the bits you see here held with tape except for the merge inlets and got within a few mil of joining the headers with the underneath pipe section. Lots of twists and angles for a novice welder and fabricator but happy with the overall look I’m getting. Probly have enough pipe left over to do it all again!

Attachments

• C32A7BAE-BD65-42BC-AFA0-6D8C762C73A9.jpeg
    C32A7BAE-BD65-42BC-AFA0-6D8C762C73A9.jpeg
    166.3 KB · Views: 149
  • 1599819E-1F30-4F07-B26F-AAC9976E30F1.jpeg
    1599819E-1F30-4F07-B26F-AAC9976E30F1.jpeg
    163.1 KB · Views: 157
Back