What have you done to your XS today?

Installed the kickstart mechanism properly and can put the cover back on

14964739839_74a861e538_c.jpg

15128432486_3f13153a37_c.jpg

5K motor going in the 79, I don't think the sump had ever been open (torn) but the PO had been here, twice, from the looks of it. One time with permatex the second time with blue silicone. :banghead::banghead: Guess he was a belt and suspenders kind of guy, he coated both sides of the gasket. But why not? It's not like this cover has to come off all the time. :wtf: and it's easy to clean that gasket surface down in the recess.. I have an angled "chisel" ground on the end of a hacksaw blade wrapped in duct tape mainly to do this job.

79motor 003.JPG

79motor 004.jpg

79motor 006.JPG

Rest of the day was mowing the pasture with the H and a sickle bar mower.

Got the new tire(Shinko 712) mounted on the rim and will reinstall wheel back on the SG, soon.

I got up early this morning and reinstalled gas tank and the right side cover and exhaust and rear brake controls
15163854791_bce241f8ef_c.jpg

Then I installed the valve covers.
Then I sarted to button up the left side cover and get the mark on PMA for timing' then I adjusted the clutch cable.
15166457272_aee9f25af2_c.jpg

Well as it turns out was not the way to go :banghead:
When I gave the clutch a try. To my dismay the pull back is way too hard. The clutch is not engaging. As a matter of fact I'm going to have to go back to the right side and remove every thing I just installed and remove the clutch
I didn't build this engine and i am getting very worried that the work was performed correctly. Watch the damn thing blow up when I finally get to start it up.
Again at least I didn't put the oil in.

Damn Carbon, sorry to hear your having issues with the new engine man.
You'll get her figured brother.
Hey John, I sure hope so. I'm worried. the head wasn't even torqued down correctly the cam cover bolts ,the bolts under the spark plugs and the one in the rear above the cam chain adjuster were missing. I mean itis so simple to torque the head correctly. I have retorqued the head correctly.
"rant over"
Thanks for the support John! And I wont give up:laugh:

I was gonna ask who "built" your engine,but never mind now!:laugh: Don't want to know!
LOL I needed that. he's a
race car engine builder.
I've been messing arounad with this thing.
Here's what I've come up with.
The clutch is hitting the inside of the cover.
It works when the cover is off
here is a pic of a functioning clutch
15146885646_2b7454db9d_c.jpg

Here is a pic of this clutch notice the difference.
I getting ready to take the clutch apart.
14983258630_6d1ecf1183_c.jpg

From memory; there are some clutch/cover combos that don't work together, the clutch got thicker in later years, an early cover won't clear it. I think that's how it goes.

Hey Carbon, your new clutch looks to be a later clutch that is supposed to have only 6 frictions and 5 steels that some one tried to cram 7 frictions and 6 steels in. You should be able to verify that by pulling the pressure plate, frictions and steels to see if has the retaining wire for the spring loaded bottom plate. If it is just put the correct number of frictions and steels in and check your springs. When you go to re-assemble it make sure to line up the alignment marks. Might not be a bad idea to make sure that the thrust bearing and all of the accompanying washers and bushing are assembled correctly. Or you could just throw on the older 7 plate clutch and have an easier time when you are ready for an 8-pack clutch.

Fingers crossed these are the only issues you run into. What kind of gauantee did the builder provide on the rebuild?

Hey Carbon, your new clutch looks to be a later clutch that is supposed to have only 6 frictions and 5 steels that some one tried to cram 7 frictions and 6 steels in. You should be able to verify that by pulling the pressure plate, frictions and steels to see if has the retaining wire for the spring loaded bottom plate. If it is just put the correct number of frictions and steels in and check your springs. When you go to re-assemble it make sure to line up the alignment marks. Might not be a bad idea to make sure that the thrust bearing and all of the accompanying washers and bushing are assembled correctly. Or you could just throw on the older 7 plate clutch and have an easier time when you are ready for an 8-pack clutch.

Fingers crossed these are the only issues you run into. What kind of gauantee did the builder provide on the rebuild?

Thanks very much Ippytatoo. . I just was not getting it. It makes so much sense now

I took the 2 clutches apart and the 2 pix show just what You are talking about
full

full

I got no guarantee so i'm a bit worried

Well thanks to ippytatoo I now have the clutch working/with side cover on!
I shot a video of changing the clutch plates out and reinstall and final adjusting of the clutch.
here is the final adjustment part.

hello fellows this is my first post please tell me if it get to you guys im been breaking my head trying to find the way to do it.

hello fellows this is my first post please tell me if it get to you guys im been breaking my head trying to find the way to do it.

Hi carepi,You found us. welcome to the site.

Well I've buttoned the engine up it's ready for oil.
15163854791_bce241f8ef_c.jpg

I'll put the spark plugs in get second battery just incase the PMA spikes and kills the Pamco, don't expect it will though but both are new and untested. It's been a long day I really thought I would get her started today.

Back