1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

What have you done to your XS today?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by I am Carbon, Nov 24, 2013.

Tags:
  1. lakeview

lakeview XS650 Guru Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

Beautiful Day for a Ride
    20190714_102945.jpg
    Two red '76's on the loose!

2. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

Hey! I know those guys! Carpe Diem guys!

MaxPete and Jim like this.
  3. Today the plan was to set timing with the light, but I guess the Queen got too excited. Shes wet! Damn, today has been diverted. Copper washers going onto the head bolts with retorque. Good thing that copper washers are an item I purchased in the past but never got a "round tuit", found one today. john

4. lakeview

In the Shadow
    20190714_124437.jpg
    Of the international bridge at Sarnia.

gggGary, MaxPete, Jim and 2 others like this.
  5. And shes running on the left, enough to time the right. Ok, yesterday she ran on both, spray of brakeclean to the air filter and she runs on both again. Doing the carbs next weekend. I'm sure glad that I've got the King to ride. Funny thing is, back in the day the the 74's and brit bikes had dependability problems and this XS-1 was the dependable bike. Go figure! john
    -edit-
    Maybe if I rode the queen more often and for greater distances she'd cut this crap out. Thinking back, she's only been ridden 450 miles in the last three years. Maybe she's not being a bitch to me and I may simply be being a dick to her. H'MM, something to ponder. john

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
    Gator xs2 likes this.
  6. MaxPete

MaxPete Life with Lucille...I suggest, she decides. Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

Just to continue Lakeview’s tale, we also stopped in the picturesque town of Petrolia north of Sarnia and used the biffy in the public library (which was a former railway station)
    4D21FFA1-4E86-43E7-848E-9F03D537D24C.jpeg
    Nearby on the market square was a hardware emporium. It had been founded in 1856 - which is pretty old for around here.
    DE9DFB98-A9C5-45F7-94DC-D1F8A34E0C17.jpeg
    Unfortunately, the hardware store was closed when we were there - as confirmed by the helpful and informative sign in the window...
    439B6773-24BC-445F-8AB6-241B88BDA704.jpeg
    ...a close-up...
    6FB56A2A-A080-4014-8BE4-67D0275377DB.jpeg
    ...and we even found an old former gas station: this one was a White Rose Service Station and the chap who was living in it told us that it had been in business at least until 1968. Now it is a private home in the little village of Tupperville which is near the town of Oil Springs (this area was the site of the first oil discovery in North America way back in 1858).
    AA0A9560-153F-49C7-B0D7-79702405CCA3.jpeg
    You can juuuusttt make out the White Rose Service sign in this closeup.
    7570F887-4B5D-41CA-9781-0BA091770513.jpeg
    There is a very interesting museum in Oil Springs - but that is for another day...
    9BF6DACD-EBD7-49C3-9079-8A23334FDC71.jpeg
    Anyhow - both bikes ran great and we logged at least a couple of hundred miles and had a wonderful day!

Pete

7. Beags64

Beags64 XS650 Addict

What about the chip truck under the bridge in Sarnia, always the wife's first stop when crossing the Bluewater.

Jim and MaxPete like this.
  8. MaxPete

MaxPete Life with Lucille...I suggest, she decides. Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

We missed that because we had stopped at the Leaky Tank Diner at the south end of town.
    3CB04244-4FE3-46C7-8821-F77DAEC99028.jpeg

We have since realized that this post might have been better placed in the “Just Ride” thread.
    Oh well.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  9. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

What a nice trip you guys had today! And great photos too! Keep these rides comin’ , it’s too hot to ride here! I have to live vicariously through you guys. :bike:

MaxPete, Machine, gggGary and 2 others like this.
  10. Gator xs2

Gator xs2 XS650 Addict

FL
    You wanna know what I did to my XS today? I rolled it out of the way to get my pressure washer. Also. Way too hot here.

MaxPete, Jim and gggGary like this.
  11. ThatXS650Guy

ThatXS650Guy More Sparky than Speed Racer XS650.com Supporter

I thought about riding mine today but the FJR got the nod because I had adjusted the seat and wanted to try it out.
    I'm heading out West in a couple of weeks and want to get the FJR dialed in for the ride.

12. gggGary

gggGary Stop that! Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

Thrashed on the Radian, should be ready for the test ride in the morning, patted Madness' seat as I went by. Went swimming out at the lake after 5PM when the tourists were clearing out.

MaxPete, Gator xs2, Moabite and 3 others like this.
  13. xjwmx

xjwmx XS650 Guru Top Contributor

U.S.A.
    What's the parts situation with Radians? It's a cool looking bike.

MaxPete likes this.
  14. JAX71224

JAX71224 jax71224

BIFFY?? HUH?

MaxPete likes this.
  15. Gator xs2

Gator xs2 XS650 Addict

FL
    Swimming in the lake without tourists did it for me.

MaxPete likes this.
  16. MaxPete

BIFFY is a Canadian term for a washroom, toilet or WC. It is an acronym which stands for Bathroom in the Forest For You and it is commonly used to refer to outhouses at summer cottages. It is also used in polite company for any place where one does one’s business.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    Jim likes this.
  17. DB90

DB90 XS650 Enthusiast

I haven't done anything to my XS today but I will be soon! Got new tires as well as LED bulbs and flasher relay on the way! Bulbs should be here tomorrow!

Plan on taking it for a ride to work tomorrow morning though :bike:

MaxPete likes this.
  18. JAX71224

JAX71224 jax71224

Well, I learned a new word today!

MaxPete likes this.
  19. lakeview

Know You Are Grounded
    20190709_195337-1.jpg
    My '83 rebuild for resale project has been a bit stalled as I could not get the button to activate the starter despite changing the bars to a chrome set from black and sanding the rust off the clamps. I know about the importance of grounds as well as anyone and thought I had it covered.
    MaxPete, stopping by to add me to his Bluewater Parkway cruise to Sarnia and Oil Springs says "did you test to make sure your bars are grounded?"
    Well no, but I had switched bars and tried a couple bar switches and sanded the clamps....
    Out with the mysterious multi meter and it was immediately apparent that the bars had no continuity with the frame.
    This morning, I ran a ground from the bottom of the bar mounts to the coil mount and presto! starter button activated the starter. No start yet so no joy, looks like I have a no spark thing to fix.

Moral of the story: Do not guess or assume - if the item can be tested, do so.
    Learn how to use a multi meter.

20. Jim

Jim The thrill of victory and da agony of da feet. Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

The bars themselves don't ground. The bars are mounted with rubber isolators and don't actually ground to the frame. The only thing you need the bars to do is provide a ground path between the left and right switch housings. The left switch housing has a ground wire attached to it that connects to the ground circuit inside the headlight bucket.