What have you done to your XS today?

Pulled the SG out for a breakfast run, turned the key and got the green light and pressed the electric foot and got a few attempted starts. Then the green light would go out after solenoid click the green light would go out for about 5 seconds. I took the solenoid apart and cleaned the contacts. I think now the starter need to be removed and given a look see. Guess I'll have to drain the oil....

Hi azman,
but first, try boosting the bike from your car battery.
Sometimes the clickee no startee is a flat battery.
If she fires right up when you boost the problem you have is not the problem you thought you had.

I understand what your saying and it's usually sound advice. I keep a charger on it most of the time. The starter has never been apart so it's needed some attention none the less.

Last night and today finished pulling out the old twisted crank motor, put in the 5K motor, buttoned it up and put 25 miles on it. :thumbsup: :D :thumbsup:

79going together.jpg 79 fall 2014.jpg

She be running like a swiss watch. Damn I love that 77 paint. Why did I wait so long to do this? Well I didn't find the donor engine until last month.

I understand what your saying and it's usually sound advice. I keep a charger on it most of the time. The starter has never been apart so it's needed some attention none the less.

Hi azman,
thing is, if the battery is kept on a charger most of the time it can show the 12+Volts it should have but you'll never know that it's got eff all cranking amps until it don't crank.
Try the boost test and know for sure.

Layed er down in the yard this morning horsing around on the wet grass, went to kick the ass end out and the front tire washed out, went down and banged up my bar end morror. Looks like I need to order a spare set of mirrors since one fell out and I just about destroyed my "spare" today.

Also noticed my clutch just refuses to heal itself so I ordered all the stuff to make it like new again.

Yesterday I cut of the steering lock on my neck and so tonight I took one of Hughs weld in bungs and turned it down to fit the hole and welded it in ground it down and I think Ill put a 5/16 grease fitting there. If I dont like that Ill weld the 5/16 hole shut. I would have had to do that anyway. But now I may be able to keep it packed full of grease. Hope it dont look weird. Oh and last night I also cut off the center stand and ground down all the excess metal. Now I have to figure out how to bend or shorten my side kick stand. Any suggestion on that. I would just cut a inch out of it but the spring retainer that keeps tention on it would be at the same height as the bottom of the stand.

- - - I think Ill put a 5/16 grease fitting there. If I dont like that Ill weld the 5/16 hole shut. I would have had to do that anyway. But now I may be able to keep it packed full of grease. - - - Now I have to figure out how to bend or shorten my side kick stand. - - -

Hi cruzin,
real bikers don't use grease nipples.
They put off tearing down the steering head to re-pack it until the balls go rusty then they upgrade to roller bearings and hope to sell the bike on before the rollers seize up.
And don't shorten the side stand, hot bend it until the (presumably lowered) bike sits nice.

I am putting the eight pack clutch and hydraulic brake conversion of Ippy's.

Posted via Mobile

Hey Tony, let me know if you have any questions or run into any issues. It dhould be pretty straight forward but I am here if you need any help.

Clayton

Thanks Clayton. I just finished the mounting of master and slave. Mine took a 42 inch line. I did have to drill out a screw in the alternator cover. I will take some pictures Sunday. I still have to get me a Mighty vac. I will soak plates tonight. and Install on Sunday after church. The Magura master does compliment the original 78 brake master.

Posted via Mobile

Finally got my Gordon Scott pipes installed (it only took five months to find enough garage time to do the job). Fired up after a few kicks. I've got some tuning to do, but am super stoked to hear the bike run.

Well it's sunday morning, I waited till after 10am to go for the first ride on this engine.
I put my knee brace on, then I rolled her out on to the drive.
I didn't want to go far so I didn't. But I'm quite sure the community now knows she's alive again. I damn sure know it.
So I crank her up let her warm up a bit, the roll off the choke. the RPMs slide down from 2100 to 1300. I check the volt meter, :thumbsup:Then I crack the throttle a couple times.
I slap her into first, crack the throttle again for grins:D let out the clutch and roll out of the yard. I go around the block once to see how she will react to throttle see if the brakes are still fine for a quick stop.:thumbsup: SoI figure it like this since I'm n ot going to go far I will let the breakin beging now. :laugh: 2nd gear I roll on the throttle Rs go from 2000 to 5000 roll off the throttle and back down to 2000 I do this for 10 cycles. Then everything is okay so far so I go up to 3rd gear and repeat. I was turning turning heads because this girl has quite to BARK! I can't explane it but the tone is much better with this configuration. the carbies and exhaust are the same as before. But the tone is deeper
So good so far.
honeydosarinowinordersoofftogetthosefinished:thumbsup:

Back