1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

What have you done to your XS today?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by I am Carbon, Nov 24, 2013.

Tags:
  1. tzimmerm

tzimmerm XS650 Junkie XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Iowa City
    One piece. It has two tabs with recessed holes that sandwich between the uppermost front motor mount bolts, and the lower part secures with two u bolts around the frame tubes. When I first got the bike I took it off because I thought it looked ugly. Then I put it back on after my first long ride taught me I needed a place to rest my legs. Then last summer I laid the bike down on a sandy street and that guard saved My exhaust, tank, and engine. It ain’t coming off again.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
    thuban and Mailman like this.
  2. Rasputin

Rasputin XS650 Addict

So nice to see someone measuring in inches or parts per thousands thereof.

Raymondo likes this.
  3. Rasputin

Rasputin XS650 Addict

I just painted a pair for a friend, only black. Big mistake I made, being low on masking tape I thought I’d use brown parcel tape!!!!!! Don’t. What an absolute B,,,start to get off. Brown cellophane pulls off OK leaving the glue, had to use cellulose thinners and a razor scraper. One lives and learns.

Raymondo, Mailman, GLJ and 1 other person like this.
  4. tzimmerm

Iowa City
    Okay, weather has been better than expected today. Just got her all put back together- re checked the tapered steering stem bearings, got the wheel back on. This shade of gold is not quite a match to the tank and shocks, but I think it looks alright. It definitely Makes the front wheel pop. An improvement over the faded black paint for sure. I also ordered some new collapsible black mirrors. This single one looks cool but all I can see is my shoulder. If I’m lucky the rain will hold off and I can go for a quick spin later. It’s supposed to get up to 64 here today.
    77E1145E-E98F-4E9A-892E-9E2D0A8B6616.jpeg
    161DF0CC-0672-4940-A6E3-91CC54A2E71B.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
    gggGary, Team Junk, Superjet and 11 others like this.
  5. tzimmerm

Iowa City
    Omg been riding around town for about an hour without a coat! It’s 66 and sunny! Feels SO GOOD!!!!

gggGary, Raymondo, azman857 and 5 others like this.
  6. Finally changed the fork seals. They were 48 years old. Does nothing last anymore? The hardest part was getting those chrome dust cover covers off. Thanks to Mailman, I got them off without wrecking them.
    While things were apart I also drilled some holes in my front disc. Also changed the brake fluid.
    Hey, has anyone ever had their disc's cut? Not because it's warped, but to remove the glazing. My local bike shop said they never did that for any one.
    I scuffed it with a palm sander as evenly as possible, but I'd like to get all the little grooves out.

Anyone?

image.jpeg image.jpeg

gggGary, YamadudeXS650C and GLJ like this.
  7. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

You’re right, no one will turn a motorcycle disc. I’ve used sand paper on a rubber block sander, I’ve used a 4” soft wheel on an angle grinder. The last one I did on my XS2 was done with a soft abrasive wheel to create a cross hatch pattern. I didn’t remove all of the grooves, but is a significant improvement.
    215A6EC4-7663-4522-98F1-07CA0796BD90.jpeg 3A63C0C2-9B3E-4031-977F-E271F226414B.jpeg 43533245-A21F-4845-BE55-CB558F10CC0C.jpeg E4DFA2CB-059A-480C-93B2-2D905F305702.jpeg

8. Mailman

Nice work on your front end by the way! :thumbsup:

tzimmerm, gggGary, thuban and 2 others like this.
  9. Mailman

Happy to hear you are feeling better and able to get out. The disc looks good!

gggGary, tzimmerm and Jim like this.
  10. Thanks. Your disc looks nice and clean. Mine has about 75K miles worth of grooves. I will try your method when and if I change my pads or my front tire.

gggGary and Mailman like this.
  11. YamadudeXS650C

YamadudeXS650C Central New York XS650 XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

I have heard that some automotive engine rebuilding machine shops would resurface a rotor on the machine that resurfaces flywheels. However, I can't give you a name of a shop that will do it.

gggGary and Marlin72xs like this.
  12. ThatXS650Guy

ThatXS650Guy More Sparky than Speed Racer XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

13. Mailman

I was just on his website, man he does some pretty work! Be sure to check out his photo gallery.

gggGary likes this.
  14. timbeck

timbeck XS650 Junkie XS650.com Supporter

Impressive web site......

gggGary likes this.
  15. Yep, I saw the photo gallery. He's good. Thanks for the site!

gggGary likes this.
  16. gggGary

gggGary Stop that! XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

I use a spare wheel or hub bolted to my work bench so it spins, Attach the rotor and use a 240 or 320 flap disk in the angle grinder. You soon learn the angle that keeps the rotor spinning at a reasonable pace, helps keep the action even. work the whole swept face evenly don't concentrate on the grooves. The grit will eat bearings so best not to do this on bearings to be placed back in service!

17. YamadudeXS650C

YamadudeXS650C Central New York XS650 XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

``
    If youve got 75k on yours, it might be too thin to resurface. Worth miking it before shipping it out and wasting your money.

Marlin72xs and timbeck like this.
  18. Good advice, but I ain't doing anything right away. Too much down time, and the weather's too nice. If really necessary, I'll use the disc from my 75 parts bike and if that doesn't fit, there's eBay.

tzimmerm and YamadudeXS650C like this.
  19. tzimmerm

Iowa City
    Man that whole front end looks amazing! Love those chrome dust covers! Didn’t know those existed....It’s cold and windy here today, just been doing housework all day. Now that I’m basically all caught up on bike projects there’s not a whole lot to do. Tomorrow’s supposed to be 55 and sunny, so hopefully I’ll get some more ride time in. I picked up a small little detail That I’ve been wanting for quite a while now on a Wal Mart trip; a ring terminal quick connect for my battery minder. Now I don’t have to open my seat and use the alligator clips every time I get home. It’s the little things.

20. TwoManyXS1Bs

TwoManyXS1Bs BBQ Hunter Top Contributor

Sorry, it's not an XS.

Been designing and building a Glass Cockpit.
    GlassCockpit01.jpg

A closer look.
    GlassCockpit03.jpg

Directly communicates with the ECU. I can now monitor and adjust fueling and ignition timing, independently for each cylinder...

gggGary, Team Junk, GLJ and 6 others like this.