1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

What have you done to your XS today?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by I am Carbon, Nov 24, 2013.

Tags:
  1. fixthe

fixthe XS650 Enthusiast

Winnipeg
    I'll read up on that, thanks.

Clutch cable looked good to me when I checked it out before, but I'll give it a closer look today. Yers, it's still the stock TCI but the battery is charging properly.

2. ThatXS650Guy

ThatXS650Guy More Sparky than Speed Racer XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

How was it running before you messed with the carbs? My first instinct reading this is your pilot screws are too far in.

3. fixthe

fixthe XS650 Enthusiast

Winnipeg
    Fine from 0-4k RPM, then the engine bogs and the bike looses power, sort of jumping back and forth until it hit 5k, then back to normal.

4. Machine

Machine Race the wind Top Contributor

Can you possibly start including pics of your carb, filters, clutch cable routing etc? I've enjoyed following your XS revival. Sure do understand how removing your carbs and loosening the cam chain acorn nut etc has come into play.
    -R

gggGary likes this.
  5. fixthe

fixthe XS650 Enthusiast

Winnipeg
    I'm going to to start my own thread in the next little bit. Wasn't planning on doing much at all to the bike, but I think it'll end up being more than I was expecting, so it'll be nice to keep everything in one spot. I'll grab some photos when I do that!

6. yamahama

yamahama '72 XS in Restoration XS650.com Supporter

Florida
    Just went and ...finally (not quite) picked up all of my machine work / engine. Last second asked "did you check gap on rings? left those and cylinders and double check against Total Seal spec. and what they should have done given their steel and our measurements....So, probably tomorrow morning go ahead cover up engine to prime the top for silver paint. Do the clutch while that's drying, maybe start on those wheels now that I have spokes. Keep me off those bar room stools.

Mailman and buzzword like this.
  7. lakeview

lakeview XS650 Guru XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

20200830_155107.jpg
    It's a Start on a Red '76
    I painted this frame a few days ago and figured it was fully covered. Brought it out if the blue van where it had been "baking" in the sun to install the tapered bearing races and saw that the underneath needed a few more squirts. Done.
    Also installed the bearing on the lower triple tree. I froze the stem overnight and was amazed at how the bearing and seal slipped into place just like in the movies.

fixthe, Superjet, buzzword and 3 others like this.
  8. DirtyErnie

DirtyErnie Renaissance Hick

Reworked the petcock gasket. Works better if you just do a half-moon and forget that silly little void low-left.
    Also found my copper washer assortment and stepper bits. It's sealed up real good now!

Attached Files:

fixthe, Mailman and jetmechmarty like this.
  9. DirtyErnie

DirtyErnie Renaissance Hick

Or maybe not, the recalcitrant b#!$h...

10. buzzword

buzzword XS650 Addict

stuck on a peg mount thingy

9F483E9D-3261-42B1-8FB1-85B597E5B60C.jpeg

now to put on a brake squeezy-pushy thingy...

11. lakeview

lakeview XS650 Guru XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

20200905_134425-1.jpg
    Forks, Wheels and Fenders Added
    Time for lunch and to cut the grass.

The long term red '76 project is a roller. Probably will go back in shed while I catch up on another.

Boog, buzzword, Raymond and 2 others like this.
  12. XsJosh

XsJosh XS650 Addict

Kinda a crap picture, but I installed bar end mirrors yesterday. Next is some nicer levers...

Attached Files:

Boog and jetmechmarty like this.
  13. yamahama

yamahama '72 XS in Restoration XS650.com Supporter

Florida
    May have mentioned I got all my engine work back from machine shop and have wheel spokes...I have everything to start re-assembly BUT, just hit an impass. Heat, humidity, lazy, took a break. Maybe that costco sangria..highly recommend that if too hot outside of garage. maybe it was another bike I've been trying to come across for a few years...like this green one. P9060893.JPG P9050864.JPG I'll get the xs 650 engine put together.

14. jetmechmarty

jetmechmarty What should I put here? XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

I was going to discard the bicycle I bought in 1974. I had a change of heart. It needs a minor refurb and cleaning. I'd like to ride it.

timbeck, Raymond and Mailman like this.
  15. XsJosh

XsJosh XS650 Addict

20200906_140111.jpg
    I've got the bars all sorted and put some miles on it

16. halfmile

halfmile XS Builder XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

kansas
    I thought that peg set up looked familiar.:thumbsup: I did have to machine a little area of the mount to get the start lever to clear. Cheney also sells a brake lever that has a slight bend upward. (See Pics) Good choice of pegs.:thumbsup:
    XS650 Build 008.JPG Feb. Street Tracker 026.JPG

Boog, Smuggy, Mailman and 1 other person like this.
  17. buzzword

buzzword XS650 Addict

deleting my kickstarter so it should be fine!

Mailman likes this.
  18. WideAWAKE

WideAWAKE Single Fins and Twin Cylinders

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
    that thing is mucho epic!!!

buzzword and joebgd like this.
  19. XsJosh

XsJosh XS650 Addict

No pictures and it's not really done, but I added heated grips today, just need to wire in a relay and my riding season will be that much longer.

gggGary likes this.
  20. gggGary

gggGary Stop that! XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Rode it! Not very far on the wet roads. And a few ( lot of) things need to be done yet, but motor is very healthy. Shifts, clutch, front brake, all good.
    20200912_161457.jpg 20200912_161521.jpg

Boog, Smuggy, Raymond and 4 others like this.