What have you done to your XS today?

I did . . . something. Mainly made a mess. But the results are the old ball and race bearings are gone.

Attachments

• IMG_20150502_233249_508[1].jpg
    IMG_20150502_233249_508[1].jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 133
Started removing all the stuff I don't want on the bike last night (mainly the rear fender and the stock airbox and side covers).
Tried to swap out my chrome headlight bucket for my black one but... holy wiring, Batman. That's gonna take me a while.
Started tearing down the stock SE handlebars for removal when my new bars arrive and came to realize how far gone my switches really are. I'm also looking at a new throttle tube or cable (one of them is really sticky... redneck cruise control maybe?)
Overall it sure is fun to tear these things down a little! I need to do some studying up on the electrical, though.

Thanks gggGary! It's been a long process but it's coming together. Down to figuring out the wiring, plumbing the carbs and hopefully she fires up. Was told motor and clutch were rebuilt in 1986 then was never completely put back together. Owner (family friend) had it crated up, then moved from Quebec to Alberta, brought it with him and it sat in a barn since then. Keeping my fingers crossed that all is well internally.

Great story of your bike, jaydett. Mine was similar only not taken care of as well. I have yet to crank mine as I am trying to get the wiring figured out, I think I am missing a piece. I did get to turn it over so at least its not seized. She hadn't run since 84.
Jacky

We put a hundred miles on a 79 and a 73 yesterday with multiple e starts running headlights on all day, no battery issues at all, they are both all stock electrics,,,,, 79 has a Pamco, 73 has all original ignition, the 73 ignition switch is kinda picky about where you turn the key. I set the 79 VR once, haven't touched the 73. Just sayin'

Moved it into my larger shop today. Also got the cylinders degreased and cleaned up a bit.
I cleaned up the combustion chambers a bit with the rotary tool and it looks like my valve seats are pretty pitted. I hope they are still salvageable. I would hate to have to buy a whole new head.

Was checking out the xs and it seems my brand new last fall " Fork seal Dust Covers" are cracked and came apart. They look all weather checked and both of them split in 2 pieces. Have not even one mile on them.
Have not worked on the xs in a couple months. been busy with getting the vulcan ready for summer.

I picked up a new to me 70 something unfinished rigid chop. The rear brake assembly to forwards was never installed, so I picked up everything from TC and getting ready to weld it up. Has the VM 34's, so I hope they are set up right for this bike. We'll see.

Was checking out the xs and it seems my brand new last fall " Fork seal Dust Covers" are cracked and came apart. They look all weather checked and both of them split in 2 pieces. Have not even one mile on them.
Have not worked on the xs in a couple months. been busy with getting the vulcan ready for summer.

You are BUMMIN' me out Cruisin'! I have a couple of brand new 34mm dust seals ready to install from our favorite vendor......

Didn't do much today but I have done a lot. I think I got my 82 Heritage Special 2 weeks ago. I have since then:
changed oil
checked/cleaned filters
cleaned/synced carburetors
tightened timing chain
check/set valve lash
replaced spark plugs
replaced front spoke wheel with mag wheel (bent)
replaced handlebars with dog bone risers and drag bar
replaced brake master cylinder with brembo master
changed fork oil
lubed chain
and I'm sure I'm forgetting something else. Today all I did was learn that my speedo is about 10mph off. Showing 30 is actually 37, 60 is 69, 80 is 93...you get the idea.

lubed chain, rolled her around the patio. sat on her and pretended the wind was running through my hair.

then i chopped the makeshift seat rail i had off. chopped old tank brackets off as the angle was bad for my soft tail monoshock. made some brackets to lift the tank. installed a rear rail that will eventually be part of a new seat assembly. got the tank to be level.

yes....she's rusty. that's on the list. i only get 30min to an hour every week or two!

Attachments

• 20150505_095601.jpg
    20150505_095601.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 122
  • 20150505_095558.jpg
    20150505_095558.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 116
  • 20150505_100500.jpg
    20150505_100500.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 127
  • 20150505_100511.jpg
    20150505_100511.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 124
More unwrapping. Overtime at work only gives me a couple hours after I get home before I start dinner.

I forget who I bought them from. I looked them up on Mikes and if I remember right they cost more than Mikes do at the present. Ya Im very bummed about them also. I have just shaved and rebuilt the lowers and just sitting on it and the cold weather this winter broke them. But they look very weather checked. Ill try to get a picture close up and dig up my receipt so I can warn others.

I looked up my past order. Placed it on 10/6/2014. Mikes xs. Unless I did something wrong to them. I guess Id get them somewhere else.

1 x Fork Dust Covers 71-76 XS650 (Pk2) (27-1066) = $23.50

Last edited:
Back