What have you done to your XS today?

Finally got around to building a cart for an engine stand/mount that I had bought on eBay a year or so ago.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 144
I had some free time so I mounted the ex500 carbs and 500 throttle system minus the return cable. It was binding so I just ran the throttle cable only. It works great. I went with Mr. Riggs set up on the carbs. The idle is great and the power transition in first through third is great. I have not put it in fourth or fifth yet. That will come this week-end along with a mileage check. I only bench synched the carbs for now but I bet I am real close.

My voltage had been climbing to dangerous levels. 15-16 volts. Rotor ohmmed out to way under 5ohms. Prusing ebay I spotted a new rotor for $80 to my door from a company I'd ordered from before so I knew they were reliable. It arrived quickly and in good condition. It was in new condition and ohmmed out to 5.9 ohms. The keyway needed to be filed to clean the hard insulation out. Got the rotor installed and started the SG up. 12.6 at idle and never went above 13.8 at 2k. I'm going to run it a few days and but some heat cyles and miles on it and check it again and see how its holding up.

Well, I started to replace my old cracked worm gear with a new one from Mike's, til I realized it doesn't fit. Seems that the hole in the aftermarket housing is too small. I found a link on here that says the hole that receives the rod will have to be enlarged. Kind of sucks to spend $55 for a brand new part that will now have to be modified.

Finally got around to doing an oil change. Well, my son did the hard part, he lay on the floor reefing on my 24" swivel arm & 27mm socket to bust the drain plugs loose while I set the sidecar parking brake and held the front brake on to keep the rig from rolling across the floor.

Been having some buzzing from the front end. Discovered a loose 22mm chrome bolt on the top of the steering stem. Decided to be safe and made sure the tubes were where they should be in the steering yokes. Tightened the steering bearings while I was there. Tapered steering bearing had been installed about a year or so ago. Got everything back where it should be and tightened everything that needed tightening. Will test it in the A.M. .

Well, I started to replace my old cracked worm gear with a new one from Mike's, til I realized it doesn't fit. Seems that the hole in the aftermarket housing is too small. I found a link on here that says the hole that receives the rod will have to be enlarged. Kind of sucks to spend $55 for a brand new part that will now have to be modified.

I think it's just a matter of knocking in those 4 pins that secure the ball inside from not rolling out. It's a preventive thing. Mine had the same and it were a 1 minute job. ;)

Very cool!!

Today I tool mine for it's roadworthyness test, and she passed!! Then took her for a nice long drive home, about 35 miles!! Such fun! So rewarding!!

Back