What have you done to your XS today?

I went for a ride to test my EX500 carbs. I did not have time for a coastal run so I went in the mountains for some twisties. A good flogging and I still averaged 57.3 mpg. I am sure I can average over 60 mpg on a 200 mile trip. The bike ran great and I will not be putting my Vm34's back on. They may be up for sale later. Vm's are a great carb for the XS but the EX 500's are much better. I am sold. Thanks to Mr. Riggs for his research on the jetting. Mine is spot on.

Torqued the different OEM forks and front wheel, installed bars and controls, swapped the egg shaped bucket for one less distressed, put an o-ring on the tach to replace the crappy OEM seal, shimmed/firmed up the tach and speedo, modded some front turn signals ( thanks NJ) thought about a pamco vs new points, located the new spare brake shoes, hung the new ss brake line and stayed out of the little brides sight. Which is a full time job in itself.

Hey WER! does the o-ring work? what exactly do you use/do? My 5K motor's tach seal is misting oil down the case, the only oil stain on the bike. I have some new factory seals.

gggGary I replaced the cup to instrument rubber with a 3" o-ring but it is tight. A 3.5-3.75" would have been better. Someone posted a thread about it a couple or three months ago.
Cost was $1.73 vs Yamaha's $20 part.

Built a small windscreen of acrylic. Heated in oven, bent around a bucket, made mounts from steel and aluminum. Still needs finishing. Test ride was as expected: less pressure on the chest, some turbulence around the helmet.

Here is a test fit with the cover plastics still on: http://1drv.ms/1Fi9bjy and the mounts: http://1drv.ms/1Fi9oU2

Pekka

Had this little jewel fall into my lap and made the final spacer for the swap .
(KZ750B-2 rear into the XS) .

~kop

Attachments

• 20150510_140845.jpg
    20150510_140845.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 148
  • 20150510_223426.jpg
    20150510_223426.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 312
I'll have to let you know , I never checked . There was a time when I was obsessive about each ounce but not this time . I wanted a disc with minimal thirbligs and not having to use the Barns junk I have laying about . I will have it off today so if you or anyone wants to compare ?

~kop

I'm shipping some wheels tomorrow I'll weigh the rear. Nice looking rim, what is it? IIRC the kaw came with steelies. Been trying to find a 2.50 18 mud catcher (flanged) rim that's not so easy.

Nice looking rim, what is it? IIRC the kaw came with steelies. Been trying to find a 2.50 18 mud catcher (flanged) rim that's not so easy.

There are two types of HD , deep drop center , Borrani , 18" , 40 hole rims . One is for the "tapered bead" , since discontinued and considered an aberration at best and an abortion at worst . The other is for a conventional bead . If I remember correctly the earlier '69-73 rims are okay but the the later rims are yard art to dangerous just to look at depending on who you talk to . There are good threads on ChopCult and JJ dedicated to this . The Jockey Journal
You think an 18" is hard to find , try finding a 19" 2.50 or wm4 in a flanged rim. Yeah , I know , a call to the "new" Akront will get you anything you want , in 3 months , undrilled , for a bit less than $1k shipped .

~kop

I didn't get to do anything but grease my swing arm bushings. It rained hard last night and my garage had about an inch and a half standing water in it. I spent all day cleaning and rearranging.

Kop, Buchanons;
RBWM41840H BORRANI WM4 (2.50) x 18" SHOULDERED ALUMINUM RIM - 40H $320.00

RBWM51840H BORRANI WM5 (3.00) x 18" SHOULDERED ALUMINUM RIM - 40H $340.00

They have many more sizes with 36 hole "on order due in later this year. I may be springing for
RBWM41836H BORRANI WM4 (2.50) x 18" SHOULDERED ALUMINUM RIM - 36H - not in stock $320.00
or
RBWM51836H BORRANI WM5 (3.00) x 18" SHOULDERED ALUMINUM RIM - 36H - not in stock $340.00

Back