What have you done to your XS today?

Took the SG out for a day's ride. My numb butt confirms it was a 300 mi day.
Give or take a few miles. Being an airplane guy I rode by 5 airports. At Marana Regional airport, saw Ike's AirForce-1. A C-69 named "Columbine". Other than being hot and humid (it's Monsoon season here in AZ) it was a good day to ride. Had to visit the Tom Mix memorial roadside table. Someone leaves a visiters log, reprints of a newspaper artical of the 50th aniversery of the death of Tom Mix. Pics of Tom on his horse "Tony the Wonder Horse". The SG started easily and never missed a beat. Sounded and handled great. She never fails to give me a big smile as I ride.

went for a short ride (15 miles), the 40 year old never been used tires are indeed flat spotted, no surprise, ran pretty good otherwise. stalled on a banked left turn thru traffic, couldn't put on stand without falling over had to push (i'm too old for this s..t) across three lanes of traffic, after some rest, kicked her over and went home. back into garage, got a brew, gonna ride the Road King tomorrow and maybe order some new new tires.

Attachments

• P1000856.jpg
    P1000856.jpg
    275.9 KB · Views: 189
Have I been by the Boneyard? Shoot, I live a couple of blocks just north of D-MAFB since Sept '88. Got stationed there in Nov '87 and retired there in '96. I watch all sorts of plane come and go frome there and Tucson International AP. Sometimes I can watch the landing gear extend on the A-10C's as they come home to roost. The SG and I are regular fence riders that circle the "yard".

Decided to cut my mufflers off and go with Emgo Dunstall Reverse cone mufflers, cut mufflers off and now waiting for my new pipes. Anyone interested here is where to make the cut.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 190
Btw use just a hacksaw to cut through both pipes and picking up two adapters 1 3/8 x 1 1/2 tomorrow, order the mufflers through eBay $62.20 each free shipping. Can't wait to get my 1981 xs650 special on the road.

Took bike out for a ride. It ran really good with the newly installed pamco E-advance. Love those CVK carbs they performed flawlessly. Nice sounding commando exhaust made the ride even better. I might do a midnight ride. It's a good time for one. Getting use to the eurosport bars after 18000 miles with the buckhorns. It's like riding a different bike. Life is good.

After an 80 mile ride the other night the restomod which has been running a bit funky started idling very bad. Nursed it home, thinking I was out of gas, rode to town filled it and the bad idle continued then found one vacuum port "cap" MIA. It was vacuum tube with a small bolt CLAMPED in the end, the bolt and clamp were gone. replaced it. Taped my Galaxy S5 to the bar clamps, with Nokia's Here GPS mapping running, and bluetooth earbuds under the helmet and went out for a test run at dusk. It worked pretty darned good. My HJC FG17 helmet is quieter with no windscreen on the XS than it is behind the shield on the Concours. So I ordered up some phone mounts to Garyze onto a couple of the bikes. If things work out there's a MC camping trip to Lake Superior south shore on tap next week, I'm taking the beemer barge, just not enough room on the XS for me, camping gear and 1500 miles of old bones comfort. I'm really liking the silicone grips, I've put about 2000 miles on them so far. The maker swears he is going to make motorcycle specific molds.

ebay parts 069.jpg

ebay parts 067.jpg

A pair on the Connie I also have a set on the restomod.

Webster, Garyze (gary ize) to take an item and butcher it for use in a way the manufacturer never intended.

Checked my valves. #2 exhaust was a touch tight. #1 Intake a touch loose.Checked the camchain too, Going to take the SG to bike Night at the Barrio Brewery.

Put the "new" tins on the 79. When the petcocks dumped fuel in my crankcase I finally got out the round tuit and went from this;

79 all pretty.jpg

to this

79 new paint 006.JPG 79 new paint 007.JPG

79 new paint 008.JPG

IMG_20150808_104839_zps7ezobkn5.jpg

Old school cheetah kq cobra showed up.

Gonna have to cut and mod the frame to fit it, as well as a new sissy bar, seat mount, etc.

You can see the skinny bars from above on there now too.

It's getting more and more skinny.

Back