What have you done to your XS today?

Destroyed the right cylinder and really the whole engine. Also, new top triple clamp should arrive today, so that's fun.

Attachments

• IMG_7250.JPG
    IMG_7250.JPG
    254.1 KB · Views: 408
She was an abused runaway when I got her. Had turned to the streets and whatever drugs she could devour long ago: oil, gas, gnats- you name it she ate it. The Piston was the next logical step in a downward spiral of unresolved Daddy Issues.

She was an abused runaway when I got her. Had turned to the streets and whatever drugs she could devour long ago: oil, gas, gnats- you name it she ate it. The Piston was the next logical step in a downward spiral of unresolved Daddy Issues.

post of the month! thanks for the LOL in an otherwise bleak month. well done, sir :)

Sorry for the damage, but damn the above post is funny:laughing:

so much this.

Replaced fuel lines, I used braided clear hose before and it didn't hold up well. Also installed oil breather hose w/filter. I'll take it for a spin tomorrow and see how things go.

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum with a new-to-me '77 survivor. Pics and a proper introduction post will follow, but for now I'd like to tell you about Rebuild Part I.

Pulled the tach off, spent a few hours removing the metal ring, dumped out all the pieces (faceplate, needle, two little screws; all rattling free), and after a quick cleanup put it all back together with a bit of loctite on the faceplate screws.

Rebuild Part 1 complete!

50 mile ride today, winding thru the Beltsville Agricultural Research Center (ag farms) looking for photo opportunities. The Feds put up gates to keep the Americans out. I did find 1 spot to photograph but the lighting sucked, sun glare off the paint and brightwork ruined the pix. I will try again soon.

Nothing exciting.....Just checked ignition timing and advance action. PAMCO w/ e-advance...Worked as advertised and spot on. No ride time this Weekend.....

50 mile ride today, winding thru the Beltsville Agricultural Research Center (ag farms) looking for photo opportunities. The Feds put up gates to keep the Americans out. I did find 1 spot to photograph but the lighting sucked, sun glare off the paint and brightwork ruined the pix. I will try again soon.

Great excuse to go for a ride :thumbsup:
I always carry my camera with me looking for good photo opportunities.
What camera do you carry and where do you store it safely might I ask

Great excuse to go for a ride :thumbsup:
I always carry my camera with me looking for good photo opportunities.
What camera do you carry and where do you store it safely might I ask
I usually carry a cellphone, but when looking for photo ops I carry either a Canon XT or XS hanging around my neck. On roadtrips I carry both and a pair of Panasonic lumix. which I carry in vest pockets for on the fly ops(eg.
P1000055.JPG
forest fire in Superior, Montana that changed my overnite plan) Oh yeah, I did slow to 65 mph to get the shot.

hoooo boy. my shopmate left the petcocks on overnight on my bike, so I changed the oil + used the opportunity to take off the clutch cover and put in the tach drive delete.

filter seems to look like I may be due a top end rebuild sooner than later...

A5F609A8-C411-4607-A9F1-FEDBEC4B84B8_zpsy5zouhoj.jpg

edit: spoke too soon probably - did more research on here and it's probably sump filter + starter gear grindy bits. Occam's razor!!

Last edited:
I've been doing stuff on my '78 that I bought last Wednesday. New to the site and to this kind of motorcycle. Although my first was it's little sister, a'78 YB50 that the whole family learned to ride back in Greece . I've installed clip ons, bullet style turn signals, lowered the "cluster" and today I managed to make a bracket for the tail light so that it sites further back and up on the rear fender and installed an LED rear bulb. A couple more things to fix here and there till it's ready for spring with occasional winter testing. Unfortunately today I realised I have charging issues. Battery gets drained and I have misfires between 2k and 3k rpms, revs nicely after that and on idle dies after 10'...

And here's the bike, a slightly modified cafe racer.

Attachments

• 20160901_173645.jpg
    20160901_173645.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 149
  • 20160901_173905.jpg
    20160901_173905.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 171
  • 20160905_194249.jpg
    20160905_194249.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 150
  • 20160905_194408.jpg
    20160905_194408.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 159
  • 20160905_194424.jpg
    20160905_194424.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 159
  • 20160905_194559.jpg
    20160905_194559.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 162
  • 1473202308074.jpg
    1473202308074.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 170
Yikes ! ....I'm not looking forward to checking and cleaning my filters

hoooo boy. my shopmate left the petcocks on overnight on my bike, so I changed the oil + used the opportunity to take off the clutch cover and put in the tach drive delete.

filter seems to look like I may be due a top end rebuild sooner than later...

A5F609A8-C411-4607-A9F1-FEDBEC4B84B8_zpsy5zouhoj.jpg

edit: spoke too soon probably - did more research on here and it's probably sump filter + starter gear grindy bits. Occam's razor!!

Took it out for it's first ride since buying it. Turn signal snapped off and it leaked a bunch of oil. But, it started first kick and ran well.

Back