What have you done to your XS today?

Planning this year's first ride that'll take us further than the battery will get us back from if the alternator quits, so although the alternator still passes the Fredtest (headlight gets brighter as the engine revs) I decided to check the remaining length of the alternator brushes.
Firstly I needed to find the extra alternator brushes that I bought ten years ago.
Found them in the third parts drawer I looked in.
Pulled the existing brushes to find the inner brush had 1/8" left to go but the outer brush was worn down to where the line was only just visible.
Swapped in the new brushes, Fredtest worked and we're good to go.
Carefully saved the old brushes as it occurred to me that they'd still work in an emergency by putting the longer brush into the outer brush socket as the outer brush wears down quicker.

Worked some more on the 79 survivor (but I couldn't resist doing some polishing). Did a "drop the float bowls" carb overhaul this morning, stripped the factory mouse hair off the air filters and replaced it with UNI foam, buttoned it up and took a 40 mile shake down run, on the "back-back" roads because memorial day traffic is, well you know. Biggest to-do items; tweak the idle screw, set the mirrors. It runs good. I haven't looked at the points/timing yet. The "done so far" list covers a page of lined paper.

70 survivor 033.JPG

It's still wearing the paint that was on it, want to change it to a stock starlight blue set.
The 79 resto mod is in the foreground.

Added a luggage rack and bag hangers. Topped off the tool bags.

Attachments

• IMG_20150523_140952_712[1].jpg
    IMG_20150523_140952_712[1].jpg
    294.9 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_20150523_145653_771[1].jpg
    IMG_20150523_145653_771[1].jpg
    218 KB · Views: 148
Worked some more on the 79 survivor (but I couldn't resist doing some polishing). Did a "drop the float bowls" carb overhaul this morning, stripped the factory mouse hair off the air filters and replaced it with UNI foam, buttoned it up and took a 40 mile shake down run, on the "back-back" roads because memorial day traffic is, well you know. Biggest to-do items; tweak the idle screw, set the mirrors. It runs good. I haven't looked at the points/timing yet. The "done so far" list covers a page of lined paper.

View attachment 54408

It's still wearing the paint that was on it, want to change it to a stock starlight blue set.
The 79 resto mod is in the foreground.

That is simply beautiful Gary! I LOVE the original colours!

I replaced the dash lights. I had a hodge podge of wattage values and the turn indicators were blinding. While I was doing that I cleaned up some of the bullet connectors in the headlight bucket and repaired my turn signal switch. While I was in there I disassembled that switch housing entirely and cleaned it. Much better now. And the dash lights are much better.

79 Points, sand, clean, gap, then set timing both sides. I thought I was hearing a bit of tinging from the RH side and vibration was a bit strong, sure enough the right was nearly 10 degrees advanced. Carb sync was spot on though. Hopefully it will dry up enough tomorrow for a confirming ride. wired in a digital voltmeter to check on the road what looks like correct charging on the lift.

Will have to snoop around the wiring a bit, the headlight is on all the time and I'm getting a bit of starter run on, safety relay is bypassed?

the twins.jpg

the twins.jpg

After 30 years, my XS was finally cranked on Saturday. Sounded awesome and ran like a top. Rode it to Coleman to see the new Victory and Ducati's as well as have a drink with a friend at 4 provinces. Was going to get a video but noticed a bad oil leak from the cam chain tensioners cover. Took it off and it was dry rotted. I broke it putting it back on, dang the luck. Parts ordered and now I wait ......... yet again.
Jacky
:wtf:

I'm a total nub, but I *almost* got the carbs completely off today. Just couldn't get the angle for the left intake manifold 5mm bolt, since I'm using a ratchet and not an L-wrench. L on order from amazon...

For me, this is major progress!

79 Points, sand, clean, gap, then set timing both sides. I thought I was hearing a bit of tinging from the RH side and vibration was a bit strong, sure enough the right was nearly 10 degrees advanced. Carb sync was spot on though. Hopefully it will dry up enough tomorrow for a confirming ride. wired in a digital voltmeter to check on the road what looks like correct charging on the lift.

Will have to snoop around the wiring a bit, the headlight is on all the time and I'm getting a bit of starter run on, safety relay is bypassed?

View attachment 54456

View attachment 54456

It's bikes like these that make me get why the purist don't want them chopped up. On the other hand, an 81 special like mine, I did it a favor. Real nice Gary!

Fired mine up after 6 months of winter hibernation. New gas, connect battery and 4 kicks later she is running like a top, as always. John.

Replaced handlebar with Euro style... rerouted the cables. Took it for a quick test ride; Survey results? It desperately needs rear shocks. (what you can't see are the new fork springs from Progressive).

Before (black tar ground) and After (concrete road) pix for comparison. (will replace white zip ties with black ones shortly).

New brake line on order too (steel braided and shorter)

:bike:

Attachments

• new-handebars-shakedown-run-05242015.jpg
    new-handebars-shakedown-run-05242015.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 139
  • right-side-82-xs650.jpg
    right-side-82-xs650.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 143
Back