What have you done to your XS today?

i ruined a XS...but should look cool when it's done. This is #2 of my XS650s (#1 still has suspension)
IMG_6426_zpszugkrkbp.jpg

0201197912787256_8336801240729424765_n_zpsdflqzp7h.jpg

yesterday...but got my lower legs together...ready to bolt on soon as I buffup and make purty! used Hugh's lowering kit...2 inches. cant wait to see it!

Finished installing my home made drive chain tensioner. Then I sat and stared at it for awhile. Swept snow off the garage floor and waited for my air cleaner to arrive in the mail from eBay. It was shipped via miceback I guess... Once I'm done franken-building this air cleaner, it will be about time to start some wiring and fuel lines, coating the tank and preparing my kickin' leg!

Spent too long trying to figure out my 34 mm fork reassembly. Lower allen bolt would not catch. Was it only Thursday they came apart?
Little cap for the rod mechanism does not go all the way down tube, but will catch the allen bolt when put in end of fork tube before lowers go over.
Next time lesson. Take pics or draw schematic on disassembly, or refer to manual.
Better yet, hire Manual!!

Sure feels like it. That's the 6th iteration of that circuit.

Good guess, kinda.
Keep your gloved fingers crossed that I can actually finish it...

Guess #2 the scope is reading the output of your DIY ignition circuit.

Gloves??? It's mitten weather here buddy.

Guess #2 the scope is reading the output of your DIY ignition circuit.

Gloves??? It's mitten weather here buddy.

Another good guess. It's reading one of the internal wave-shaped triggering signals that I'm tweaking.
But, it's not a new ignition system.

Mittens? Egads. I'd need the ones with the extension cord...

had a little time to kill in the garage after work today so I decided to reinforce my new sump filter from some perforated steel I had laying around. made a paper template, then cut out with a 4" grinder. Spent about 30 minutes hammering into shape, came out pretty good. Fits nice and snug. I like the fact that it is reinforced while still allowing flow through.

Attachments

• filter.JPG
    filter.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 208
It got to a roasting 40 degrees today!!! Of course I had to work, so after work I quickly walked home and started building my new kicker-pedal. Gonna make a popsicle STYLE, but it will be made out of 1/4 inch flat steel. Cut the basic shape out with my cut off, so far so good! Plus, the 'not shivering' part out in the garage was kinda nice...!

Got the tires on,

20160123_110438.jpg

2.15x19 2.15x18, ss spokes. Battlax BT45s.

now just some spinning, chalk and weights.

20160123_110438.jpg

Working on cleaning my orphan motor (3U6-001xxx) so I can get it back together. I was able to take a big plastic container top and set it up under the stand to catch all the crud coming off. As suggested by an experienced regular contributor on this board, I screwed a sprayer head onto a bottle of varsol and it works better IMHO than the WD40. A bit stinky in the basement, but a manly scent.

Attachments

• SAM_2378.jpg
    SAM_2378.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
Almost finished, I think...

Next guess; you are varying the condenser value so you can "even up" the cylinder timing without having to futz with L-R points relation. Or getting the optimum condenser value for non stock coils. or or feeding an electronic tach off the ignition circuit. OR a rev limiter for your hot cam, big carb motor.

Next guess; you are varying the condenser value so you can "even up" the cylinder timing without having to futz with L-R points relation. Or getting the optimum condenser value for non stock coils. or or feeding an electronic tach off the ignition circuit. OR a rev limiter for your hot cam, big carb motor.

Excellent guesses, and ideas, gggGary!

But, no.

Interesting that you mention 'optimizing condensers'. I've found an article that discusses such, and have been pondering building a test fixture to pursue that.

FYI, testing my XS650 condensers found values ranging from 220nF to 237nF (0.220-0.237uF).

The big challenge with this thing will be trying to get a decent video...

Well, the "experiment" is installed and working.

Compared it to my xenon timing light, and they match.

I bullt one for my Vega back in the mid-'80s. Mounted on front of left head, aimed at harmonic balancer degree marks, using hi-brightness red LED, driven by mosfet, triggered by wire wrapped around the #1 plug wire. Very handy for roadside tweaks.

This version doesn't use the wrapped wire trigger, reads the points signals instead.
Sort of a personal challenge...

Back