What have you done to your XS today?

Put in one qt of oil on my new rebuild.....no drips yet.

Tested Pamco for volts at both coils and they're both reading good.

Almost time for first start up.

Mocked up new driving lights. Still early in the process. Taking opinions: side-by-side or stacked?

Hope to fire her up tomorrow after wrapping up charging and ignition rewire. Confident I got the capacitor wired proper, but will keep the goggles and bullet proof jock strap on just in case. Wish me luck!

Attachments

• frontview sideside.jpg
    frontview sideside.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 178
  • frontview stack.jpg
    frontview stack.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 172
Peeled off a crap front tire and pulled a crap tube out of another front wheel. I am starting to get tired of wheel and tire work.... cleaning and buffing a 79 SPII front wheel.

Pulled the cover off it after 8 weeks, a quick dust off, air in the tyres, checked the oil, gave it a kick in the guts, lubed the chain and started riding it again. I love this bike.

I sold a rear wheel and spent a BUNCH of time trying to get the ancient tire off it. I finally had to swallow my pride and resort to a hand saw and bolt cutters and cut the tire off the rim. it might have been the factory tire yet. I will say I have changed at least 100 MC tires this was one of the worst.

But I wasn't done yet. I demounted a front tire, replaced a holed tube. I ran my hand in carcass and didn't feel or see anything, had it all back together had buffed up the rim a bit and was balancing it when I saw this;

shinko front 002.JPG shinko front 001.JPG

shinko front 003.JPG shinko front 007.JPG

I guess the hole was closed (not visible) when there was no air in it..... Pretty sure that was what had holed the first tube. :yikes:
Tire had plenty of tread and wasn't stupid old.
Spend a bit of time and take a good look at your tires now and then. Tube/tire was flat when I bought the bike.

I find just a stiff wire wheel deburrs the teeth on the steel clutch plates quite nicely, and pretty quickly too.

A jig to knock the burrs and sharp edges off?

I'm completely phlumbuffled.

I find just a stiff wire wheel deburrs the teeth on the steel clutch plates quite nicely, and pretty quickly too.

That fixture with the clutch plate is the beginning of a project I've been wanting to pursue for quite some time now. It's a bit complicated, and involved, with several unknowns. There's a fork in the road in this project, and I'm paving both roads.

Part of me wants to do this in isolation.

The other part wants to share the progress, involve the members' help and suggestions in the design evolution, and endure the "better not do that" admonishions.

This one will take awhile...

That fixture with the clutch plate is the beginning of a project I've been wanting to pursue for quite some time now. It's a bit complicated, and involved, with several unknowns. There's a fork in the road in this project, and I'm paving both roads.

Part of me wants to do this in isolation.

The other part wants to share the progress, involve the members' help and suggestions in the design evolution, and endure the "better not do that" admonishions.

This one will take awhile...

That covered it in a FINE layer of obfuscation!

By the way I think this has sealed your fate, I'll be looking for the thread you know where.

Spent the last few days cleaning the head and lapping in the valves. So neat to feel the abrasive change from tough to turn to smooth. Putting the valves back in head, had one set of colletts get balky and want to go upside down and not catch right, finally won, though.
This morning reassembled the barrels fresh from the machinist for a second over bore, put the rings on and into the cylinder and the cylinders onto the motor. Having the motor on an engine stand allowed it to turn so I was not fighting gravity putting the circlips on.
First real engine work in my retirement after being desk bound for 35 years.
Tonight the head goes on.
Couldn't do any of this without referring regularly to this site.

So I spoke too soon. Went to look at my handiwork and see that I have a piston arrow one way and the other backwards. Dang.
Rookie error!
Everything has assembly oil on it, so it's slippery, but was able to use a socket to get the pin started back out.
Will reassemble now.

Attachments

• SAM_2501.jpg
    SAM_2501.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 195
  • SAM_2503.jpg
    SAM_2503.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 180
Back