What have you done to your XS today?

20200418_141654-1.jpg
Four Feet & Forty Years Apart.
Closed out the winter storage today. A windy 8 degree ride home on the FJ09 so was glad of its windshield.

Came with quite a parts stash. Put baffles in mufflers, smoke much less. Carbs are fubar. But i gotta rebuilt set ready to bolt on. Original odo Shows 6000 miles. .

how much for the faring? :D

was that bike burning oil because the fuel was running too lean and it just toasted the seals over time? I'm just guessing from the bluing on the exhaust. I'm also trying to test my knowledge lol

Pretty sure head gasket is issue. Will try a retorque but the odds arent good for that working on an internal leak. About egual smoke on both sides. Put on rebuilt carbs and ran it up n down the road. Runs good.

Got the wife's 81 pods back in and the fuel lines hooked up. Then decided to start on the 75. I went ahead and replaced the fork seals today. This also included replacing the circle retaining clips, washers, fork caps, fork cap o-rings, dampener bolt, and dust boots. I used Bel-Ray 15wt oil with 7 ounces. I’m 230 so I like the forks a bit stiffer hence the 15wt.

I was able to borrow the dampener holder tool. It worked perfectly. I still need one for my buddy’s 34mm forks. I’m willing to buy one if anyone is interested.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
6.jpg

Lookin mighty fine! Dig those tires. Those risers are sweet! Solid brass? Lmk if you ever wanna sell em. The way it sits without the tank and seat it looks to me like it should have a yellow headlight, satin black tank and brown seat.

Lookin mighty fine! Dig those tires. Those risers are sweet! Solid brass? Lmk if you ever wanna sell em. The way it sits without the tank and seat it looks to me like it should have a yellow headlight, satin black tank and brown seat.
They are solid brass. I had to hand file the HHB bushibgs to get the bolts to fit for the risers. It will be a matte black tank but a black leather seat. I have a sportster frisco style tank as well.

Last edited:
Got my new pegs on this morning. They look a lot better than the old ones. Broke one of the new mirrors I just bought when installing it. Why are good mirrors so hard to find? I don’t know if I will bother returning them. They were only 25.00 and they came with two universal bar clamps, and two sets of reverse thread adapters. I’m honestly missing my buckhorns enough that I may switch back to them here soon.
86BB9832-D202-48D0-9A3C-96BDFE8EBB34.jpeg
6F450C98-E45E-4AB4-8E46-FCB1B6D71055.jpeg

20200419_161748.jpg
Takin' a Break From the Brat.
Working to get this abandoned brat project that I bought ages ago ready for selling. Carb install was hampered by hockey puck consistency manifolds.
20200419_182028.jpg
Any time ya see a missing sprocket bolt it's probably broken off about half an inch in. Gotta save this drum mag, so doing a thread repair. That old bolt is hard!!

1975...Haven't worked on this since 2014. Family/work was priority (I travel a lot) so it occupied the right side of my garage for years. About a week ago, it didn't have a front end. Now that I have time, I'm on a roll with putting it back together. Found some things that were installed wrong (like the front fender in this pic) or not installed at all so I made some corrections. I'm hoping to have it started by the end of the month. It's getting there!
20200411_193902.jpg

Last edited:
Back