What have you done to your XS today?

Went for a ride through the local rural back roads. Got home and shut off the bike. Went to start it again and all my electrics were dead. I may have left it on for 10 minutes with the engine off. I suspect the 60watt bulb I threw in drained the battery dead.

And it's dead dead....under 10 volts. I did manage to get it started with the charger hooked up and confirmed no more than 14 volts from the reg/rec. Kept trying to die again on me.

I either have a short somewhere or my bulb is drawing way too much. Maybe both

Went for a ride through the local rural back roads. Got home and shut off the bike. Went to start it again and all my electrics were dead. I may have left it on for 10 minutes with the engine off. I suspect the 60watt bulb I threw in drained the battery dead.

And it's dead dead....under 10 volts. I did manage to get it started with the charger hooked up and confirmed no more than 14 volts from the reg/rec. Kept trying to die again on me.

I either have a short somewhere or my bulb is drawing way too much. Maybe both
The headlight may be an issue with the stock charging system, but the spec on charging is 14.5 volts @ 2000rpm. If it's less than 14, it'll have trouble keeping the battery charged with a 60 watt headlight (stock is 50/40 watt).

The headlight may be an issue with the stock charging system, but the spec on charging is 14.5 volts @ 2000rpm. If it's less than 14, it'll have trouble keeping the battery charged with a 60 watt headlight (stock is 50/40 watt).
Yeah I'm using a PMA setup. It was 14 volts around 3000rpm. I've got some tinkering to do to make sure something isn't shorting as well because I was running that headlight for a while with no issues.

While I had it running for those couple minutes I tested all my other switches and such. Only things that weren't functioning were my tach backlight and my voltmeter so I'm guessing there could be a problem there.

I'm gonna start pulling fuses tomorrow if I can get my hands on a working battery and find where the issue is.

Thank you for your insight my dude

Nothing earth shattering in way of working on it today , hot day, shady gravel back road putting around

Did play with some fun camera filters with a guy from the office ( he’s our image tech) I sent him the first one to chat about the ride , sent me back two filtered for 1960, and what looks like 1938!

If you squint hard enough ….lol

Attachments

• F5778F04-2F10-4C91-BC63-BE7B75741741.jpeg
    F5778F04-2F10-4C91-BC63-BE7B75741741.jpeg
    429.7 KB · Views: 68
  • 5E006A5F-98D1-4A32-AABC-3C9559658ABF.jpeg
    5E006A5F-98D1-4A32-AABC-3C9559658ABF.jpeg
    261.6 KB · Views: 64
  • 02DF77BE-F3EE-4A95-ADAF-5B159EA8718F.jpeg
    02DF77BE-F3EE-4A95-ADAF-5B159EA8718F.jpeg
    236.6 KB · Views: 70
Decided to finally get the original front master cylinder ready to rebuild and have the right original mirror back on.The aftermarket worked so well after I put it on,I’ve been procrastinating no doubt.

Attachments

• B11D1533-3490-43FC-87CB-C765AB8D873A.jpeg
    B11D1533-3490-43FC-87CB-C765AB8D873A.jpeg
    299.5 KB · Views: 42
  • 362BF4A7-863C-40A2-9232-DC79CB1B3DE4.jpeg
    362BF4A7-863C-40A2-9232-DC79CB1B3DE4.jpeg
    364.4 KB · Views: 39
Called Allen's Performance who are apparently the go to place in the UK for carb jets etc. Chap on the phone told me I'm wasting my time trying to rejet my 650b for foam pod filters and that i need to put it back to stock filters! Literally wasn't happy to sell me the jets I wanted.

Oh that sounds promising, despite me saying how hard and expensive getting standard filter parts was he couldn't accept that rejetting was an option. He reckons I'll just be chasing my tail
You can point him to this forum where literally thousands of us have rejetted just fine with aftermarket foam filters

You can point him to this forum where literally thousands of us have rejetted just fine with aftermarket foam filters
I couldn't be bothered to be honest, his mind wasn't for changing...I however remain open minded😀 for this reason I'm going to get one and two jets up on both pilot and mains I think🤔

I couldn't be bothered to be honest, his mind wasn't for changing...I however remain open minded😀 for this reason I'm going to get one and two jets up on both pilot and mains I think🤔
What carbs are you running?

To be fair Dave at Allen's Performance must have had a change of mind and sent me a quote for both jets, still not sure how many steps up to get

Today I lightly modified my Heiden Tuning oil filter assembly on the lathe...I've been having a weep of oil from the side..it seems the fit is so snug it doesn't take into account the slightly uneven casing casting...a little bit of work saw the alloy unit fit snugly into the aperture..

Attachments

• 20230713_180840.jpg
    20230713_180840.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 41
My XS650 D didn't get pulled out of winter storage until today. Late start to my season for many reasons. Gave it a wash, charged the battery and had to inflate the tires a bit. Started without choke on the first crank of the starter. I was pleasantly surprised. Rode tonight.

Well, as much as yesterday's re-commissioning and maiden voyage of the 650 D was uneventful, oddly enough the taillight was not working but the brake light is fine. Ok, no worries, should be an easy fix...
So today, checked the bulb, its fine, start the bike, check for power in the socket; no power. Check for power at the connector bundle on top of the rear fender, no power. Ok, break out the wiring diagram to find that the blue wire feeding the taillight also feeds the instrument lights. Ok, pull the headlight, find the instrument light wires and connector but not the blue wire I was expecting to find running back to the taillight.

As I am doing all this, I am starting the bike repeatedly, always starts first crank. I button everything up without finding why I have no power at the taillight and try to start it one last time. Nothing happens... WTF? Try it again and again, no dice. Suspect the replacement ignition switch, nope, works fine. Suspect the starter solenoid, check that, works as it should. Getting kinda baffled, I check the start push button before realizing that it is a ground switch. Pull a spare starter switch assy out of stock, wire it up with some pigtails and ground the housing against a chassis bolt and BINGO, we are back in operation! Tried grounding against the handlebars, no dice! Hmmm, aren't the bars grounded? Disassembled the original switch and found it less than pristine inside. Cleaned it up and tested it grounded against the chassis and seems to work fine. Reinstalled it and guess what, NO JOY!

Had to call it quits for the night, but will resume tomorrow. Does this make any sense? Any ideas what's going on?

Hmmm, aren't the bars grounded?
No, the bars are not grounded. They're mounted on rubber vibration dampeners. Starter switch ground goes from the right switch, across the bars to the left switch and from there the black wire takes it to ground inside the headlight bucket.

Back