What is Acceptable Voltage Drop for Resting Battery?

smg65

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Never gave this much thought before. But I installed a new voltmeter the other day, and while inside the headlight bucket, I cleaned up some wire routing. The bundle from the ignition switch was routed such that the protective sheath was outside the bucket, with the individual wires fed through the bucket hole with no sheathing protection. I wired the voltmeter positive to brown from the ignition switch, and ground to the turn signal stalk bolt.

Long story short: the battery was fully charged, with all cables left connected with the bike not ridden or started. Multimeter readings are as follows:
Wednesday pm: 12.89
Thursday am: 12.86
Thursday pm: 12.85
Friday am: 12.84

Is this drop acceptable and expected? I do realize that there is plenty of juice to run the bike, and the new voltmeter, when tested after the install, shows a perfectly charging system. Just curious as I've never tested this before. BTW, the battery is sealed.

Thanks for your consideration!

That sounds perfectly acceptable to me. Let's throw out that a drop to say 12.7 over two or more weeks of non use would be acceptable. Self discharge is temperature dependent, the battery voltage (% of full charge) will drop off quicker when the temps are higher.

Here's a chart from Yuasa that illustrates this

self-discharge-characterist.jpg

Thanks, guys! Knowledgeable folks on this forum can really help put one's mind at ease, as well as assist with so much more. Love the forum! :)

I was told 12.2-12.4 minimum, and a drop of voltage, when starting, but should not go below 9.6 volts was a sign of a healthy battery.

Back