What is it? Model ID? Pics.

Mollard

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Found this one locally. Advertised as a 78 xs400? Looks like a 650 to me. How can you tell?

4918b5a_20.jpeg

6513m1b_20.jpeg

1214f2h_20.jpeg

That's a 78 xs650 Special. Same as mine. Looks like it is in good shape. If it runs, I'd say get it if the price is right.

Well, looks like I missed out fellas. Had cash in hand but buddy never returned my e-mail, and the ad is gone.

Well, tracked him down, and picked it up for my first project. Is a very complete unit, although non running. Title is being run through MTO, still unsure of year.

What are the "tell tale" signs it's a '78? The tag on the neck has a manufacture date of 12/78, December 1978, which leads me to believe it's a 79?

Hmm.

Yes the paint is very odd. Guess the PPO was a bit of a weird duck. Will post more pics asap.

Looks Canadian to me, you from up state new york? Yup that build date would make it a 79.

OK because it looks like KM on the speedometer

Hmm. That 1978 coincidence is kinda funny. Yeah I'm in Ontario Canada. What makes it look "Canadian"? The weird ass paint job? Or some other mechanical differences besides the speedo? How can I tell the difference between the 79 standard and the 79 special?

In my previous post, I meant, for my next project. Currently working on a '75 restore.

your Vin# on frame neck and front of motor under front motor mount will tell you what year it is

Attachments

• year model codes.PNG
    year model codes.PNG
    16.6 KB · Views: 166
  • year model codes 2.PNG
    year model codes 2.PNG
    12.5 KB · Views: 132
79 standards have alloy spoke wheels 19 front 18 rear drum, specials have cast wheels 19 front 16 Disk rear brake. 79 Special II's have different alloy spoke wheels 19 front 16 drum rear. Oh, you referred to MOT.... Ministry of transport??? The US doesn't have ministries in it's grabberment eh?

Sorry, it's the MTO. Ministry of Transportation Ontario.

My VIN doesn't jive with either of those charts.... Hmm..

But, it is in here;
codes1.jpg

One of the bottom two? XS-SE or XS-SF, possibly 77-79.....with a manufacture date of 12/78, would give me a 1979 XS650SF.

Wheels are 19 front 16 rear.

Last edited:
Back