What is the best at home way to clean engine parts?

theblackassassin

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Like the title says. What are your at home procedures, tips, tricks, products etc.
I am currently doing an overhaul on my engine at home.
Changing all the gaskets and seals etc. Looking to make her nice and clean again.
Just looking for some advice on what you guys do at home.
I will be starting a thread on the whole rebuild when I get more pics etc

Well, you're in Chicago, home of jc whitney, sears, ...etc. Should be easy to get a solvent tank and varsol. If cost is an issue, find a decent size metal pan, and use varsol. An enclosed bead blaster is a nice addition. Air compressor. Power washer. Scotch-brite. Dawn is great to cut grease/oil...

I use paint thinner an a assortment of brushes in a spray bottle and a plastic bin. Recycle what's left over skim after sitting and get rid of solids. Lots o parts I use a five gallon bucket with lid and roll around for effect. Cheaper than cleaners in cans

My go-to basic parts cleaner for years has been plain old kerosene. Pretty easy on the hands, not too flammable, cuts grease and oil well. If you search around, you should be able to find a gas station that sells it right out of a pump like gas. I just refilled my 5 gallon can a few weeks ago. This much lasts me years. I end up giving lots away because many folks aren't aware of how well this works and have never tried it.

you can get kerosene at home depot too. my guess is it will cost more but easier then trying to find a place that still pumps it.

Yes, the kerosine will leave a bit of an oily residue when it dries, but that's not a bad thing on raw steel engine parts. On frame parts, just wipe it off with a clean rag once dry and the cloudy film comes right off. You can use it on the whole bike, it won't hurt paint, rubber, anything. Like I said, I think it's just about the best all-purpose cleaner out there.

I am on the paint thinner wagon $6-7 a gallon, the more you pay the less it smells, the cheap stuff is pretty close to kerosene. no residue, ready to paint parts. I use better quality pump spray bottles. One bottle at every work bench, the thinner trashes the cheap bottles quickly. I go though a few gallons a year of thinner. Tooth brushes are #1. I also have a big assortment of brass and steel wire brushes. Lots and lot of paper towel. I remove the carbs and alternator cover, plug the intakes, bag and tape off the stator and rotor, but removal is better if the engine is coming out anyway. and pressure wash the engine while it's still intact to keep water out of the insides. I lay the bike on both sides to get the bottom good. I hate letting the dirty outside gunk get inside the engine. I also use the rancid gasoline from barn find bikes for HD cleaning, then burn off the greasy run off in a metal pan. Gun cleaning brushes are also handy.

Don't know how easy it is to find anymore but kerosene "lamp oil" is low odor and should work well, I doubt there is much difference between that and mineral spirits/paint thinner. While not highly flammable this stuff does like to burn! Use all flame precautions dispose of rags in airtight metal cans. In the winter they are burned in my wood stove.

I use straight Simple Green. It really works well for most parts. For removing varnish, such as case cover clear coat, I use paint remover, Zipp Strip. Kerosene is very good too for a general cleaner.

I use the wife's dishwasher after a good degreasing. Works great. First thing I do is gather all the parts to a sunny area and let them heat up. Then soak them with Gunk engine cleaner. Let that soak for 10 minutes and rinse off with water. Now you might have to use a scrapper to work off the harder grease still sticking to the case. After that, put them in the dishwasher. Get wife's permission or do it when she's not home.:laugh: I had to buy mine a new washer after I did it without the degreasing phase. But now I have the old one to wash parts any time I want.:D

I highly recommend an ultrasonic cleaner. Expensive, yes, but does an excellent job. Especially on carbs!

As Tripod says, I would 100% recommend a US cleaner, especially for the carbs - dont put them in degreaser solvents - it makes the seals very unhappy! :)

As for everything else engine wise, I have 10 gallon drum cut in half like a BBQ and mounted on a wooden saw horse with the screw cap at the bottom of one end. In it lives an assortment of brushes and scrapers along with a degreaser similar to Gunk mixed with paraffin.

When it gets a bit minging, I just drain it through an old pair of tights (not mine :) ) into a bucket and refill.

Back