What is the best way to restore wire wheels?

xsdrew

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to restore the wheels on my '77. I have absolutely no experience at all with wire wheels what-so-ever.

Basically, I was thinking I just wanted to go with the "black out" look. Black hub, spokes and hoop. What's the best way to go about this? I have access to sandblasting and powdering coating equipment, but I've read some people say that powder coating an entire wheel is a no-go. Do I need to completely disassemble this wheel if I want to powder coat it? Would the sand blaster damage the spokes?

I also have the ability to paint it, would painting an assembled wheel be better than powder coating?

If possible I would definitely like to keep the wheels intact, they are undamaged and I don't own any equipment for truing it. Normally I would use that as an excuse to buy more tools and learn a new skill, but this build is already over budget :D.

Last edited:
If you can afford it take them a part and powder coat. If they are original spokes it is time for some new stainless. 38 years old.

If you can afford it take them a part and powder coat. If they are original spokes it is time for some new stainless. 38 years old.
yes. re-lace. Pay for a true.. or bite the bullet, and buy/figure out a truing fixture.
Take 2 2x4's cut a 'v' in one end of each. take another piece of wood to join the two at the bottom, place axle in wheel in 'v', use a coat hanger to point at the shoulder of the rim, find areas on rim with most distance from pointer, and make it happen.:thumbsup:

I always thought that powder coating an entire wheel couldn't, shouldn't and wouldn't be done, but I recently had one done by a powder coater who claims to do it all the time. If you want to cheap-out, this is your best option. Results are great. Bear in mind that you pretty much won't be able to tighten spokes or re-true afterwards, so do it before.

Appreciate the replies.

I've done a bit of digging with what it takes to re-lace a wheel and to be honest it looks like fun. I want to give it a shot.

What I really want to do is convert my front wheel to an 18" but that causes an even greater expense. So, I think this time around I might powder coat the wheels as a whole assembly and the next time I need tires I will pull the trigger on new spokes/18" conversion.

I own the sandblasting and powder coating gear so the expense of redoing them next time isn't extravagant.

When I resto'd the 77'D a couple years ago I elected to powder coat the rims, hubs and spokes without disassembly. While I doubted how well that might work I figured "what the hell, if it doesn't work I'll respoke". The results are still looking good after two years and a couple thousand miles. Obviously you must remove the wheel bearings prior to powder coating, but I've not had a problem with chipping, cracking or other degradation. Would I do it to a show bike? No. But for everyday use on an everyday bike it worked out ok.

roy

Attachments

• powdercoated 77D rims 001.JPG
    powdercoated 77D rims 001.JPG
    221.1 KB · Views: 227
When I resto'd the 77'D a couple years ago I elected to powder coat the rims, hubs and spokes without disassembly. While I doubted how well that might work I figured "what the hell, if it doesn't work I'll respoke". The results are still looking good after two years and a couple thousand miles. Obviously you must remove the wheel bearings prior to powder coating, but I've not had a problem with chipping, cracking or other degradation. Would I do it to a show bike? No. But for everyday use on an everyday bike it worked out ok.

roy

Thanks very much for letting me know that.

This the exact kind of experience I was hoping to find!

BTW, I really like the color.

For restore wire wheels, Wheel information such as type, size, spoke pattern, offset, and spoke and nipple sizes are recorded. All parts are then labeled to ensure proper identification throughout the restoration process.

Third year with black powder coating done on assembled wheel minus bearings. Checked spokes for tightness and wheel true before I had it done. I get some very nice comments on them.

Most authentic look? Dismantle, polish rim and hub, re-lace with stainless spokes.
Easiest? (and least costly if you have the equipment) Powder coat in the color of your choice.
"Best" is so subjective, eh?

Most authentic look? Dismantle, polish rim and hub, re-lace with stainless spokes.
Easiest? (and least costly if you have the equipment) Powder coat in the color of your choice.
"Best" is so subjective, eh?

My thoughts exactly. I would add that every motorcyclist aught to have the experience of lacing up a set of wheels from scratch at least once.
But Royboy's wheels actually look surprisingly nice! Wouldn't want to lose the ability to re-true if needed though.

Back