What is this for?

Tim Meaders

Not just another Old man on a Harley!
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
This odd shaped plastic container doesn't have a purpose that I can determine. It's not sealed it even
has an opening that lets a small metal loop pass into it.
Since I don't have an owners manual can someone enlighten me?

What is the purpose.JPG

Tim, I've never owned an XS650 from the 80's so haven't any first hand experience but it appears to be the storage point for the tool roll that was supplied with the bike. Partzilla lists it as "Side Cover/Tool". If that is indeed what it is there should be a plastic latch that you can release to open the end cover.

roy

Pretty sure that was the compartment for a supplied "chain" to stop the bike from being stolen. Never saw one but understand it is not really up to modern requirements.

Tim, I've never owned an XS650 from the 80's so haven't any first hand experience but it appears to be the storage point for the tool roll that was supplied with the bike. Partzilla lists it as "Side Cover/Tool". If that is indeed what it is there should be a plastic latch that you can release to open the end cover.

roy
I think the chain & lock storage compartment makes sense. The bike already has a tool storage area on the other side of the battery box. The
thing that didn't make sense was the large area cut out of the plastic for a small metal loop that is welded to the frame. A lot of water will get in
there.

Thanks to all who answered.

This odd shaped plastic container doesn't have a purpose that I can determine. It's not sealed it even
has an opening that lets a small metal loop pass into it.
Since I don't have an owners manual can someone enlighten me?

View attachment 109983

Hi Tim,
the Heritage Special that I bought new still has one so I know for sure.
The plastic mystery box originally held the bike's stock "security chain".
The Yamaha chain has an integral lock that's keyed alike to the bike's ignition/gas cap/seat release key and
is a pathetically frail miniature variation of the ship's anchor chain and fist-sized padlock that H-D riders use.
IMHO the chain would make an OK leash for a mid-size terrier but it wouldn't hold a Shepherd or a Doberman.
As posted, the box itself can be used to carry anything that'll fit inside it so long as it's wrapped to keep it dry
and padded to keep it from being vibrated to pieces.

Yea these chains are a bit of a novelty thing...........and it won't stop a thief looking for, and taking what he wants, (a friend lost a bike when thieves removed a sheet of iron from his shed and lifted a specific bike over several others and replaced the iron)....................BUT.......... it will stop an opportunist.

Tim

Sorry to go off topic but has your bike ever been used? It looks like it's fresh from the showroom!

This 81 has just under 4000 miles on it and had been parked since 1986. The neighbor who gave it to me had co-signed on
the original purchase loan for his son in 1982. When his son stopped making the payments he paid in off and titled in his name.
He only rode it occasionally and he drove it into a curve in 86 and never drove it again. It was a rust bucket inside and out
when I started working on it in May of this year. I totally dis-assembled and either cleaned, repainted or replaced area's where
the rust was too severe. I've put about $600. into parts, paint etc. so overall not a bad deal.

The plastic "hinge" on mine was tearing off so I replaced it with a metal hinge from the hardware store. You have to trim away a little plastic so the lid will sit flush.

20171202_120349.png

Last edited:
Well, it's the best I could figure out. I just feel sorry for the years that don't have this.

Well, it's the best I could figure out. I just feel sorry for the years that don't have this.

Yes, I feel sad for them as well, I wonder how they'll get along?
But for the lucky few of us who have them (and know what they're for) its great!

Back