What is this? XS1f with four bolt tappet cover?

ProSimex

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So took the top end off my XS1 engine today so I could check everything out. As a bonus this would also lighten it up for the trip to the basement(and out of my dining room). Everything seems tickety boo. I figured I would get it honed out and put new rings in her. This presented a problem as XS650central doesnt carry stock rings for an XS1. I asked Hugh where to source these and he suggested calling Gary Hoos. I had a look at his site and oh my.

700 big bore with 10.5-1 comp!

Fuck me sideways Margaret thats TASTY!

Looks like the engine is gonna get all kinds of love this winter. I dunno where Im gonna find the money to finish the frame now.....

Some pics

P1070033.jpg

Getting ready

P1070034.jpg

Oil line and ignition off

P1070037.jpg

Gunnar wants to help. I only noticed that the wife took this pic once I was taking photos off the camera.

P1070038.jpg

Valve cover off, loosened the cam chain and pulled the cam bearings out, allowing me to slide the cam out without cutting the chain. Im gonna put a new chain on before buttoning this back up, but for now it can just relax in the bottom of the case.

P1070039.jpg

And the head is off. All parts are in ziplock bags and carefully put away.

I think Im gonna have to just take my time and do this engine right, even if it means not having it ready for next season. I still have my TX to ride so I'll be ok. Rephase, 700cc, pamco, PMA, ect. By the time I'm done Im sure I'll have spent enough money for a new triumph!

Last edited:
The left front 4 bolt valve cover makes it not an XS1, or at least the head anyway.

Need more pics to tell for sure, like of the chain tunnel of the cylinders, and the bottom of the case. The XS1 case didn't have provisions for a starter, and the chain tunnel had a brace between the cylinders. But your head is clearly not a XS1 head.

On the VIN to year chart I have your number is a XS1F.
The XS2 was the first year of the electric start. In 72 and 73, the XS2 and TX650, they had a weak starter and battery. They put the decompressor valve on to help it start with the electric starter. In 74 they used a stronger starter and a bigger battery. This did away with the decompressor.
Your head has the four bolt cover of the 72 and later engines. If sounds like at some point the engine was apart and the head replaced with a 72 or later head. No biggie. It will run just fine.
Leo

counting the teeth on the cam will tell you what crankshaft and camchain you have

Back