What is this ?

pim123

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I'm new to the xs650 and I'm new to electrics on a bike, so therefore my kind of stupid question...what is the silver thing with the wires attached ?

Attachments

• 2013-08-06 19.03.02.jpg
    2013-08-06 19.03.02.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 141
Yes, that's a flasher.
One way to figure out what an electrical unit is to find a wiring diagram for the year of your bike. With the diagram look for a unit with the same number and color of wires. Your flasher has 3 wires, one brown, one brown/white and a black wire.
This means your bike is a 70-76. The black wire is the give away. On the 70-76 this is a ground. In 77 they started using a self canceler on the turn signals and the black wire was changed to a green/yellow wire.
Up at the top of this page you will find an XS650 TECH button. Clicking this will lead you to a list of subjects. Under each subject is a list of topics about the subject. Clicking on one of these topics leads you to threads about the topics.
I suggest looking under electrical and then some electrical diagrams.
Leo

Found the diagrams, but it is not easy to regonize a silver cannister with wires there :)
By the way, my bike is from '81, did sombody put an old flasher unit on it ?
Thanks for your answers !

pim123, why don't you go to the control panel and put some details of your bike in your signature so people can see what you have at a glance when you make a post.

Anlaf

On the diagram can you find the turn signal switch? If so trace the brown/white wire. This will lead you to the turn signal flasher.
It may take a bit of studying to understand what the wiring diagram can show you.
Leo

Back