What is this!?

Bufoalvarious

XS650 Member
Reaction score
So I got my first bike, it's a 79 and I'm in the process of putting the puzzle back together and I dont know what this red wire right above the kickstart is for! Everything was torn apart and reasonable labeled but I cant seem to figure this! If anyone would be willing to help me out in my process I'd appreciate it. Thanks!
Screenshot_20190701-171316_Gallery.jpg
VideoCapture_20190701-171254.jpg

Last edited:
I believe that's the power wire from the battery to the fuse block. It should plug into another red (female bullet) at the starter solenoid.

I believe that's the power wire from the battery to the fuse block. It should plug into another red (female bullet) at the starter solenoid.
I cant seem to find anything it goes to. Do you happen to know where this other wire is located on the solinoid? The one shown comes out of the harness shown . There is also a taped off bundle of something to the left of the pods in the photo

Last edited:
Should be a red wire on a ring terminal going to the same terminal the battery goes to. Looks like your batt. cable has been replaced and its MIA? Did you get any boxes of parts with the bike?

Untitled.png

Thank you! I recieved two boxes filled with extra bars, extra chain, extra suspension, etc, but sadly no little red wire anywhere. Can I cut the existing wire and splice it together with a new one which connects to the terminal?

It's off of the main cable that comes directly from the positive battery terminal. Your positive battery terminal cable goes directly to your starter switch and there is another female wire connection that is spliced into that battery cable that you plug that red wire into. That red wire is you're main battery power that runs to the fuse box and then gets distributed throughout the bike from there.

Yes you could... or you could get a ring terminal, a female bullet connector and some red wire and make a replacement.
It's off of the main cable that comes directly from the positive battery terminal. Your positive battery terminal cable goes directly to your starter switch and there is another female wire connection that is spliced into that battery cable that you plug that red wire into.
Looks like his main batt cable has been replaced, so it's probably not there... but yeah... like Josh says, anywhere on the main batt feed line will work. I might be thinking of a different bike... so I've seen 'em in both places... at the solenoid and at the batt.... either place works.

No worries Josh. :)

Back