What is up with this Bendix Gear slop?

pnedac

XS650 Addict
Reaction score

I have made a video to show what I am talking about. this is the third time I have taken this apart and I just want to make sure this is normal and if it is not, then where do I go from here? The gear (#4) is new, the flywheel gear is good to go, the clip has good tension. Everything is put together in order. I just want to make sure this is not abnormal.

Am I good to go to put it back together?

Cheers!

Pnedac

and this one
watch from 43 minutes. he mentions wiggle and you can see it operate with a bit of play but it's working when he's done. turning at least but not throwing.

Well the great, great news is that the play in the gears does not appear to matter. It is starting MUCH better than it was before. I would not say it is perfect, but I'bve gone from free spinning, to ineffective grinding, to it'll start but sound awful, to now it starts very well. Not sure I am ever going to get it perfect, but I am pretty pleased with the result.

While I was in there I changed out the clutch pushrod to the one piece unit and I replaced the pushrod seal and I also changed out the clutch cover screws from phillips heads to the allen head type. Had em all sitting on the sidelines so as long as I was in there I threw em in.

Buttoned it all back up and took it for a ride and it is closer to running like a dream than it ever has been. Success!

Thanks again!

Back