What is your favorite handlebars ?

Scrambled

Motorcycle Man
Reaction score
OK, I keep changing my mind on what handlebars will work best on my '78 standard. Got stock bars on right now and I hate them . I don't want/ like / or need clip on's or clubmans. , The only XS I have ridden is the one I own now and a short ride on a special that had stock bars that sucked badly.

Just looking for something that works good with this bike . Thanks. :confused:

(will be mostly riding on side roads , some gravel , most of them rough paved. )

Last edited:
I prefer the Euro bend, use it on all my bikes. I feel what makes it so comfortable is the way the ends of the bars droop down slightly. This turns your wrists to a more natural angle .....

EuroBars.jpg

fin650_2.jpg

I put a set of Mike's Superbike bars on mine to replace those gawdawful Special rototiller bars. They're perfect for me.

Euro, Daytona or SuperBike bars are all sporty and "standard" type bars.
:thumbsup:

+1. Just figure out what kind of width and rise you want. These 3 styles are similar. I have a superbike bend on my SV650 and like it a lot. Leaning toward a Daytona for the XS, but gotta feel it out a little.

Scrambled, find a web site with the dimensions on it. The Mike's bar on Downeaster's bike is pretty much the Bikemaster bar. They have identical rise, pullback, and width. Look at the dimensions on the others, and envision the differences.

I miss the old days when bike shops actually had bars in stock , hanging on the wall. Hard to really know what you are getting just from the numbers alone. Pictures of them mounted on bikes helps a lot.

I wish I hadn't sold my parts collection that I had 20 years ago. I must have had 15 handlebars from different bikes and I liked every single one of them.

60% rough pavement, some dirt and the rest unpredictable tar where I am. I'm with 5twins on bar selection and the position of my wrists. I'm 53 with arthritis in both and it helps a lot. The only difference is I like a little wider for this bike, but angle and style is cool I think and I can ride it all day long.

Attachments

• DSCF2905.jpg
    DSCF2905.jpg
    289.4 KB · Views: 851
  • DSCF2906.jpg
    DSCF2906.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 665
  • DSCF2898.jpg
    DSCF2898.jpg
    298.4 KB · Views: 847
My bike was a Special and the stock Special bars are awful. I had some straight MX bars, they looked great but were not good for long rides because they were too straight, went to tracker bars, they are great for dirt track (duh) but not so good on the street, particularly in sharp low speed turns. Got clubmans, sorry not for me either, too low and could not get my back comfortable. Maybe with rearsets they'd work. I finally got a set of 'drag bars', they are the perfect bar for me. No rise or drop, about 2 1/2" pullback. Low enough for good control, high enough for comfort.

I like Kawasaki Z1 style 'cowhorns' but looking at those 'euros' I wouldnt mind a pair of those..Not sure I can get them over here though ..

well i just love the look of clip ons and the cafe racer look but realistically I'm never going to be able to ride that low at my age so its wishful thinking .

My 79 2f is a US import which looks to have stock bars , they look to high for comfort to me so i'll probably swop them for some Euro bars when i've finally got the old gal on the road .

Anyone recognise the bar style from the picture ?

Attachments

• xs650 2f 79 as bought2.jpg
    xs650 2f 79 as bought2.jpg
    263.8 KB · Views: 351
Peanut, those don't look like the "standard issue" Special bars (angle of the grips is wrong) and they're certainly not Standard bars.

I'd say somebody put some aftermarket bars on that bike at some point. Don't look very comfortable either.

thanks downeaster.... I'd have to be some kind of urangutan to use these bars :laugh:

looks like you have the same model as mine ?
My vin is 2F0 25155* how close are they ?

Those look like bars I had seen on some Triumphs and BSAs back in the 70s .

thats interesting as the bike was officially imported into the UK in 1997

well i just love the look of clip ons and the cafe racer look but realistically I'm never going to be able to ride that low at my age so its wishful thinking .
Same here!
The stock SR500 bars are pretty comfortable too..

Attachments

• sr500bars.jpg
    sr500bars.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 351
hi guys,,, when i purchased my bike about 15 years ago,,, it had real crappy 4" high no name brand bars ,,,,,,, then i tried superbike,,, ,,,,i,ve now got mikes daytona,,,,, they are comfortable,,, but i di want to swap threm again for gs bars,,,, and i,ll get what i,m trying toooooo achieve.... regards oldbiker :D

Back