what parts to get for monoshock

schioler

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey guys..
i need some help here...
i am going to buy parts for my winter project.
i would like to add a monoswingarm and have a 180 tire on it.

what type / brand of swingarm should i look for
what rim / tyre setup should i look for
i think i would need the Gary poh offset kit aswell...

thanks...

I have done a bunch of Mono shock and the easy one to do is a GPZ 550/750/1100 arm its fits almost like a glove and you can buy them at a good price. If you go to YOUTUBE DADDYGCYCLES look at the café I built and you can see the mono.

While I can understand why you want to use a better swing arm, and a monoshock setup, I struggle with why you would want a 180 rear tire on a 45-65 hp XS 650.
It just adds cost, weight, drag and complication to your build.
Not to mention the hassle of changing tubeless tyres.

If a wide rear tyre is that important, get a different bike, Ducati Diavel has a 250 as standard......Hardly Ablesons also have fairly fat tyres in general.

An XS is a good starting point for custom builds of all kinds, trackers, scramblers, bobbers, cafe racers, choppers, hill climbers, ice racers, mx sidecar racers and so on.

But it is really not suitable for extreme tyre sizes, be it supersports inspired or bobber/chopper builds.

Just like classic Triumph twins, the best looking XS builds are restrained and tasteful, maintaining the classic and slim appearance of these bikes. Look at any bike built by Mule (Richard Pollock). No extreme tyres anywhere, just fantastic looking bikes

hey guys - i hear what your saying - i have read alot the last couple of hours
on the wide tire thing - i can see what you mean with the alignment of chain etc.

i will reconsider what to do then - is there any swingarms that would fit
in - and be a little longer than the stock one?

thanks for fast answers..

Most monoshocked modern bikes have longer swing arms, as this generally improves the handling and suspension.
So look for a swing arm with the same pivot diameter as the xs, and the same pivot area width.
I see DaddyGCycles has listed suitable swing arms in a recent post.

Easy monoshock to get hold of and have the right load and travel requirements would most likely be early 750 Virago stuff. I have one laying around, and I have another off some kind of mid size 4 wheeler. I don't know how much fun it would be to get a Virago monoshock in Denmark, tho.

Back