Discussion in 'The Garage' started by schachterle, Nov 16, 2009.
I have a 1971 xs650 basket case that needs wheels. What size wheels were on there originally?
- front...1.85 x 19...36 spokes...3.25 - 19, 3.50 - 19 tyre
- rear....2.15 x 18...36 spokes...4.00 - 18 tyre
- both DID steel rims, chrome plated
From what I remember the front was a 1.85 x 19 and the rear was a 2.15 x 18
If you want original looking wheels, you'll need a drum front wheel like this:
I just sold this in the Classifieds
- if you want a drum front end, the SR500 has one that is almost a copy of this - it has only 5 holes instead of 6 RHS, and the air vent LHS is different...
- it also seems to be more effective as a brake than the original...its made to fit however a later 35mm fork, use spacers - and requires the retaining bracket if using later forks for the 298mm disc
i have 72 with 18 inch front wheel and drum brake which supposedly only went up to 71. removed my front axle and washer fell on ground and i dont know where it came off. anybody know?
If you have an 18" front wheel, that's been changed (original was 19"). If you have a drum brake on a '72, that's been changed (original was a disc). Maybe it's from some other bike and maybe the washer was an added spacer that was needed. The '70-'71 drum wheel used no washers for spacers.
youre probalbly right that it has been changed. but washer fell out when i pulled axle out so i wanted to put it back where it was
bought my 76 with the same front drum. great looking wheel.
Separate names with a comma.