What sized wheels

Tim L

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I have got a 1972 XS2.
It is running on chrome wheel rims at the moment and I want to change to the valanced alloy wheel rims used on classic Brit bikes and some XS650's.
I have measured my wheel rims and they are 36 spoke, 18 inch and approx 3 inch wide rear and 36 spoke, 19 inch and approx 2.5 inch wide.
On Mikes XS there are the valanced or ridged alloy rims but none of the sizes match what is on my XS2.
The fronts are 1.85inch on the website.
I will be using the old hubs and spokes as they are in good condition.
Can anyone tell me the sized rims I need for my bike?
Or, has anyone got a pair of wheel rims or wheels they want to sell?

Tim. UK.

2.15 is a common fit as 2.25 18" for the rear is a tough find in Akront or Borrani
You can find a fair supply of 18" and 19" 36 hole rims in the us because of all the fitment to dirt bikes in the '70's . I believe the optional wheels for the XS were 1.85 and 2.15 in '75 but I can't verify right now .
The 18" rear if swapped to 40 hole to get a disc brake in there will give you a few fits . The Borrani from a ironhead sportster works but in a 79 swing arm it's so tight that you loose about half of your chain adjustment to tire clearance , can't run a chain guard without shimming the sprockets over , and have to pay close attention to wheel offset when truing .

YMMV

~kop

Tim, you are measuring your rims incorrectly. Instead of measuring the overall width, you should be measuring the inside width.

The book states your rim size is 1.85Bx19 on the front and 2.15Bx18 on the rear.
I think the 74 and up wheels will fit on your 72. The front may be the trouble spot. The way the rotor attaches may give you trouble.
On Mike's rims some have reported the hole angles are off a bit, they can be corrected by drilling. Others report they are just fine.
I have seen sets listed on Ebay at around $160 for the set.

Just did some checking, the Ebay rims are not flanged rims.
On Mike's he only lists the front rim as flanged. No rear flanged rims.
I might get a set of the 74-78 XS wheels and see if they fit your bike. If not, lace the rims to your hubs.
Lace the steel rims on the later hubs and sell them. Might break even on the deal.
Leo

Back